What is a wasted spark

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Just heard somone talking about a wasted spark? Is this like a twin spark plug setup or something else?

Does it mean you get more power and is it something you can do on any car?

In theory though the extra spark helps to fully burn any unburnt exhaust gases. I beleive Rover used a wasted spark model on some of their engines.

i believe so enything with 2 ignition coils 1 for 2 cylinder. WASTED SPARK IGNITION is an arrangement where spark plugs fire twice per cycle. One spark fires on the compression stroke, the second spark being 'wasted' because it occurs while exhaust is being scavenged. Wasted Spark Ignition has the advantage of simplified triggering arrangements used with double ended coils firing two cylinders simultaneously.

i believe so enything with 2 ignition coils 1 for 2 cylinder. WASTED SPARK IGNITION is an arrangement where spark plugs fire twice per cycle. One spark fires on the compression stroke, the second spark being 'wasted' because it occurs while exhaust is being scavenged. Wasted Spark Ignition has the advantage of simplified triggering arrangements used with double ended coils firing two cylinders simultaneously.

Textbook answer. Thanks. Does this wear out the plugs twice as quickly

i dnt know the answer to that. it wasnt around for long but if you think about it the spark plug is being used twice as many times so cant be doing them any good.

i dnt know the answer to that. it wasnt around for long but if you think about it the spark plug is being used twice as many times so cant be doing them any good.

My YB Cosworth is using wasted spark, so it is still around :)