What is a safe driver

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Following our insurance based debate on old drivers etc I thought it would be good to discuss what we mean by a safe driver?

Is it one who has had lots of experience, lots of advanced training, track day skills, skid pan training or one that drives a slow safe car? I'm sure you have your own opinions on this one so let's hear your thoughts.

Not even getting involved in this one as I can predict the thread already.
It's old drivers isn't it? ;)

It would be interesting to come up with questions that the insurance don't currently ask.

How close to the car in front do you drive?
Do you know what the flashy things at each corner of a car are used for?
In an effort to trick fast drivers "how long does it take to stop when traveling at 110mph?"

In a nutshell one who is,
- unaffected by alcohol.
- alert and concentrating on the job and not thinking about what they will be doing when they arrive at their destination.
- wears seat belts correctly.
- licensed to drive the class of vehicle they are driving.
- aware of all that is happening around him/her.
- drives to the conditions.
- and is conversant with and abides by the road rules.
- drives a roadworthy car.
- turns mobile electronics gadgets off.
- does not tailgate.
- is not distracted by passengers and look at them while driving.
- Does not have loud doof doof music playing.

HDI how did I go ? ;) was that what you were thinking I would say :)

Last edited:
Having just done a speed awareness course a speeder is someone who gets caught to be able to put a label on them.
So a unsafe driver can't be used as a label until they have an accident! So a safe driver is someone who hasn't had an accident!?

In a nutshell one who is,
- unaffected by alcohol.
- alert and concentrating on the job and not thinking about what they will be doing when they arrive at their destination.
- wears seat belts correctly.
- licensed to drive the class of vehicle they are driving.
- aware of all that is happening around him/her.
- drives to the conditions.
- and is conversant with and abides by the road rules.
- drives a roadworthy car.
- turns mobile electronics gadgets off.
- does not tailgate.
- is not distracted by passengers and look at them while driving.
- Does not have loud doof doof music playing.

HDI how did I go ? ;) was that what you were thinking I would say :)

Like it.

I will add that there's that unquantifiable thing that I call sparkle. You have that anyway.

Sparkle: Engagement with the road and with the car which makes it fun for the driver but also invigorates passengers rather than scares passengers. Swift progress and purposeful. Good control of the car in all situations. Stringing a series of bends together, braking sufficiently but not needlessly, long range observation on M'ways. Using mirrors and brain rather than indicators constantly. Enter a curve or bend in the best gear to exit rapidly. None of this braking through bends and slipping clutch in 5th when 3rd would have been the correct gear, for example.

I am not the fuddy duddy I might appear by any stretch.

I'm not quite the dull driver I might appear to present myself to be :)

I try not to hold up other drivers, it's very rare that someone overtakes me.

If it's safe to make progress I do, very much so. And swiftly.

Last edited:
Not sure if I am a safe driver or as herb put it, "lucky". I have added to what skill level I am currently on with trips to the airfields for top end speed runs and track days for overall car handling at high speed.
The best tutor I had was an old boy called "Alfie" who was and maybe still is, a fast driving instructor at Silverstone. Learnt an awful lot from him in the one day, many of those lessons I still use now and to good effect. I could do with improving further but the time and opportunity is somewhat difficult to find at the moment.