What cars have the 16v Fiat/Alfa jtd engine

Loads of 'em. The mJet (Multijet) one is the really desireable motor, although they are still quite raucous compared to PSA's 4 cylinder engines.

Vauxhall uses it in the CDTi models; Alfa's 156 amongst others.

I think that all the 150bhp 1.9 JTDs are 16 valve units, the lower powered 105 and 120bhp ones are, from memory, eight valve units.

There are better engines out there though. BMW's 2.0d has been a 16 valve motor since its launch. The power outputs have increased massively from the original 136bhp to 204bhp in the 123d, for example.

The BMW 2ltr was also used in the Rover MG Line-up. Since I got interested in buying a diesel (A week now) I have been reading everything I can find on the net including the celtic tuning site yoy reccomend Paul. And it seems the Fiat/gm engine comes highly rated, especially in 1.9 16v form. I am now trying to figure out the cheapest car it sits in my search has led me to the 147 (not cheap in 16v form) Stilo (cheaper and I am now checking out Saab 9-3s on the trader but it seems all saab diesels were badged as TiD. Just need to find the 16v ones to see if they are cheap. Check out what Celtic can do with the 1.9....marvelous

The BMW 2ltr was also used in the Rover MG Line-up. Since I got interested in buying a diesel (A week now) I have been reading everything I can find on the net including the celtic tuning site yoy reccomend Paul. And it seems the Fiat/gm engine comes highly rated, especially in 1.9 16v form. I am now trying to figure out the cheapest car it sits in my search has led me to the 147 (not cheap in 16v form) Stilo (cheaper and I am now checking out Saab 9-3s on the trader but it seems all saab diesels were badged as TiD. Just need to find the 16v ones to see if they are cheap. Check out what Celtic can do with the 1.9....marvelous

BMW does not let Rover or MG use the later 2.0d units. Not yet, anyway. BMW keeps the premium engines for it's own use. Much as VAG keeps the top end dervs for Audi and VW. Skoda and Seat will get them. In time.

As for 16v mJTDs I really don't know.

The Alfa 156 seems an obvious choice, as does the Saab 9-3.

You could, of course, get a Vectra. But do you really want a Vectra??

These 1.9 Fiat sourced engines are still quite uncouth though. Torquey, quick and tunable, but the refinement is nothing special.

Last edited:
The JTDm in my Alfa was great. Much more refined than any Audi diesel I've experienced even in the old dears fellas new top 'o the range A6, but still not a patch on BMW's offerings.

If there's one thing to consider with modern derv fuelled engines then I'd suggest a 6 cylinder engine.

These put far far less stress on the ubiquitous dual mass flywheel due to the fact that there is no torque reversal every 180 degrees of crankshaft rotation as there is with a 4 cylinder engine.

ok then,

mJet engines come in various states of tune and with different heads and are fitted in different cars. I guess you were looking at the 1.9 in particular..

8v power outputs are as follows: 105 bhp 120bhp and 130bhp

16v power outputs are as follows: 120bhp 150 bhp and 170 bhp

They are found in Alfa's Fiats, Vauxhalls and Saabs

Word to the wise though, they use the 120 bhp 8v and 16v in the Astra and vectra, if you plan to remap make sure you buy the 16v one as the gains from a remap are nothing short of MASSIVE!! how does 212 bhp and 330lbft~ grab you? just from a map on the mjet 1.9 16v engine!

also I don't think they did the Multijet in the 156, they did the first generation JTD none multijet.

also worth a mention, Saab have a 1.9 16v twin turbo version as well which has roughly 200 bhp standard, I would imagine silly power would be avaliable from a map.

Last edited:
The thing is I Personally would buy a Diesel to save money and therefore to avoid the deprecation trap the car would have to be near the bottom of it's deprecation curve and unfortunately I won't get a 6cly modern diesel or BMW 2 ltr for under £2k.
So I am looking for a balance of economy and power with reliability for under £2k. I was looking at the 2.2 hdi's but they are no more economical than my ford petrol However with my studies it seems the 16v JTd is highly regarded. But still not cheap enough for me

The thing is I Personally would buy a Diesel to save money and therefore to avoid the deprecation trap the car would have to be near the bottom of it's deprecation curve and unfortunately I won't get a 6cly modern diesel or BMW 2 ltr for under £2k.
So I am looking for a balance of economy and power with reliability for under £2k. I was looking at the 2.2 hdi's but they are no more economical than my ford petrol However with my studies it seems the 16v JTd is highly regarded. But still not cheap enough for me

I somewhat doubt that your petrol car would be more economical than a 2.2 hdi unless it was a small engine in a small car. and besides even if they did do the same mpg the 2.2 hdi would be a much faster car.

You should still be able to get an 8v JTD non multijet for cheap, Fiat Stielos go cheap and so do Alfa 156's

The 2.2 HDi I had managed about 39mpg after the ECU remap. Not amazing, and probably little, if at all, better than a 1.8 Petrol Mondeo. But the performance is in a different league altogether.

Yeah I think we have answered the guys question now so it's all good in my book,

Unless he needs anything else?

This thread is well off topic to be honest. And I am guilty of commiting the thread corruption offence yet again.

But I'd like to see TN69's Staffie pups going to good homes. They're stonkingly brilliant family dogs and deserve to be loved and cared for.

Ooops, Hdi's done it again :-(

To be honest I am loosing interest in the power thing as I never find my self looking for power as there is so much traffic I never have the chance to use 66% of my throttle space. I do like Torque mind, however the reason for me buying a diesel is to save money not loose it by paying more for a car which delivers the same mpg. Yet again the big kid I am I chase numbers and from my studies on the diesel engine the 1.9 jtd 16v gives the most numbers per £.

yep at 327 lb/ft similar torque than some modern ferraris from a cheap 1.9 diesel and a £300 tune up.........meant to be one of the better diesels as well when it comes to reliability....doesn't sound very italian does it

yep at 327 lb/ft similar torque than some modern ferraris from a cheap 1.9 diesel and a £300 tune up.........meant to be one of the better diesels as well when it comes to reliability....doesn't sound very italian does it

That's why I still rate diesel for usable performance. You can use the lazy approach to driving and yet there's still massive acceleration on offer.

looking on other forums the general consensus is that second hand modern diesel engines are best avoided due to inherent problems that come with age and a better bet is an old technology diesel or a petrol. What do you think?

looking on other forums the general consensus is that second hand modern diesel engines are best avoided due to inherent problems that come with age and a better bet is an old technology diesel or a petrol. What do you think?

Due to lack of sufficient funds and the urgent need to buy a car I've done exactly that and bought a non-turbo petrol car.