What car will be worth more in 5 years

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I want to buy a car that will slowly appreciate and be worth more in 5 years time than the current purchase price.

It will need to be fun and interesting to drive? Any suggestions on what I should be looking at?

32GTR is one of the best investments at the moment and certainly fulfills your other two criteria

All skylines are increasing but the 32 has recently become old enough to import into the states so values have shot up.

This applies much more to cars in excellent condition or better.

Been looking at import options actually Yugguy! There are so many possibilities, but I don't want to take a risk, I must guarantee it goes up in value. ;)

What about something classic like an MGB? Yes they are not fast by today's standards but they are incredibly involving and would be worth at least the same if not more if kept in good nick.

Been looking at import options actually Yugguy! There are so many possibilities, but I don't want to take a risk, I must guarantee it goes up in value. ;)
Guaranteed appreciation is tricky especially if you're after a short term turn around. Longer you leave the resale time scale the more you'll gain but then you need to gauge the right moment before having to spend to much on maintenance items. All Porsches are rising except the newer models like the 996/997 and Boxster/Cayman models. Any desirable models and Ltd editions are normally a safe bet on a good return. Skylines are rocketing as are Toyota Supras, especially UK twin turbo ones. European models like Audi TT are probably bottoming out now and will rise in next year or two. Same with BMWs M3 models the E30 has already shot off and fetching £25000+ so the next models are in line ready to do the same.
Keep the car standard unless there is a recognized upgrade path for the model, like Skylines have, and you'll get a good return when time comes to resell

I was looking at the Honda CRX mk1 and MK1 golf GTi, they seem to be rock stable price wise. Would an older car be more expensive to run though?

I don't think they're more expensive. Parts for both those models are plentiful, good club support. Bodywork will be the most important factor more than mechanics so thorough investigation will be required. Club forums specific to the model highlight the common spots. Iirc battery tray on the Golf and all over for the CRX :lol: My 1983 Prelude rusted badly around the sunroof and that was only 10 years old. The Mk1 CRX was aroundat the same time until 1992 I think

Mini's are a good investment quentin Wilson last year commented on this
Also the renault 21 turbo/turbo quadra are becoming rare only 7 registered on the road and 22 sorn the last time I checked

Why do you want a car that increases in value? I thought that you were a car nut. Car nuts choose a car because they like it, not because it will increase in value. People that do that aren't car people, they are investers and have no place on this forum. Begone, foul person! :)

so as a noob this is probably not the best time to talk about my Facel Vega Excellence barn find then.
dang, and here's me trying to get in my first 10 posts.

so THAT's what a Facel Vega looks like.... after further research I've found out its actually a Sinclair C5.
see us noobs!

I went back to see the Facel Vega farmer this morning about getting my money back. I was nice and polite and told him what OG said about it being an easy mistake to make but he just laughed and told me two words the second one of which was Off, so it seems like I'm left with the Sinclair C5. it could have been a lot worse though, it might have been a Citreon C5.

nah, i'll break it up for spares. I don't think the car game is for me, disaster runs in the family. my father sank his life savings in a DeLorean dealership.

Why do you want a car that increases in value? I thought that you were a car nut. Car nuts choose a car because they like it, not because it will increase in value. People that do that aren't car people, they are investers and have no place on this forum. Begone, foul person! :)
I'm hoping to be both, a car nut and an investor. Preserving a classic for future generations is the preserve of the real car nut.

There are also those people who take a classic car, rip it to bits, drill holes in just about everything they can find and then put it back together again so it looks standard but becomes the fastest road legal version of the classic car it was based on. ;) Wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same!

seriously there's one car if I had it I would want to drive it every day, the Ford Capri Brooklands. you need silly money to buy one these days but what a machine.

The answer is simple buy a car made in the 70s ( or earlier if you can ) that is sound .
British , Japanese , Italian they are all going up in value at a steady rate.

This will also apply to later cars that are rare sporty or ideally both. Also if it is for a pure investment , unless it has racing pedigree its best left standard.
Ther will of course be a few exceptions but the above is a safe way to get a classic car and keep it without it costing you money to own
Which I think was obis idea.

The Ford RS Cosworth is going crazy. The Top original RS500's are up around 80/100k now. A rather mundane but original
Sierra RS Cosworth made 43k at Auction last month.

Any one your choice
nissan_skyline_history_gtrcanada_zps6cykkpsk.jpg

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

I was talking to a guy who bought an early 911 for 20,000 about 5 years ago. He reckons its currently worth about £45,000 now, but he has spent about £17k on it refurbishing it and getting the engine rebuilt. It's profit I suppose but at quite an investment.

How much do you want to spend to start off?

I have bought a mitsubishi FTO, £800.

With new cam belt, water pump, alloys, tyres, HIDs and new seats stereo and a few other bits. It currently owes me around £2000.

But as its only 4 years away from being allowed to be imported into america its value is sure to rise as long as rust doesn't get it.

Torque GT are pretty hot on market trends and what to import from Japan. Heard nothing but good reports from their customers. Maybe have a chat with them about what you're thinking and they can advise.
Paul at JDMImports is also very helpful.

Don't know how true it is but a chap in the tyre garage was telling me the mk4 golf v5 is now rare. Supposedly there are only 7 in the country?

The funny thing is if that's true I know where 2 of them are. Anybody got a flatbed:lol:

I was talking to a guy who bought an early 911 for 20,000 about 5 years ago. He reckons its currently worth about £45,000 now, but he has spent about £17k on it refurbishing it and getting the engine rebuilt. It's profit I suppose but at quite an investment.

I bought a 1973 911 for £5500 over 30 years ago . Still have it in original condition although it needs to be restored. For a long time the values went up slowly and it wasn't economic to restore it so it stayed in my garage. Then suddenly they went off the scale. Now a good original restored car is worth £50k + so the restoration is very much worthwhile.
The same is happening with 32gtrs at the moment because of the 25 year rule in the States. It only applies to really solid good examples but early ones now sell for close £15-20k and prices are still rising.

3.2 Audi TT DSG from 2004?

The Honda NSX has shot up in value in recent years. Wish I'd got one of those a few years ago and stashed it away for a rainy day.

Would a car investment need to have a low mileage?