What are the best spark plugs?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you bother about this or just fit anything? What spark plugs do you recommend and why? Do you change the gap or leave it as it is? Do you think there is much point in cleaning the plug tips?

In my opinion Denso plugs are the best. Toyota and Lexus use them as standard and I have never known one to go wrong. NGK are pretty good too. Avoid Champoin as they are tiolet, I won't even use them in my lawnmower. Splitfire (if you can sill get them) are a waste of time and are rubbish.

I don't think I have ever gapped a set of plugs, they just go in.

Cleaning plug tips is only necessary if you have had a problemand they are coaked up (I normally just replace) or if your too tight to replace them every 20'000 miles. you can clean and regap quality plugs and get another 20'000 out of them (unless you have platinium or iridium plugs, is won't work with them).

My car has platinum plugs and they are good for 40,000 :shock: !! I didn't know you couldn't clean them - why not?

Wider gaps mean bigger spark - try it for better ingition! I know a guy who swears by doublinghis gap!

Doubling your gap will only work if you have a high voltage coil that will produce a big enough spark to jump the gap. If your coil isn't up to it you will just cause a missfire.

You can clean platinum plugs but you shouldn't re-gap them when they are worn like you can normal plugs. The reason is something to do with the electrode loosing its pointy bit.

I replace mine every 4 to 5 months Wayne.I suppose mileage wise,.......4000ish.The plugs are always in pretty good condition when I change them,its just a personal thing I suppose.I cant really answer you accurately.It doesnt really seem to affect them by using different driving styles.Most of the time I have to admit I push the car pretty hard,but Ive never had a plug fail me yet.
Another tip I can pass on though is,if you are using,say,..10mm Kerr Nelsons.......increase the gap a little for maximum performance.
I know this sounds backwards,using bigger diameter leads AND increasing the plug gap,but it does make a difference.

Do you remember setting gaps on plugs and points? Those were the days - the amount of time I wasted getting the gaps right on multi electrode plugs! :rolleyes:

I have a friend who doubles his gap and he swears by the method, so you've just confirmed that for me :D .

I bet you don't line up the electrodes with the intake valves? Surely no one is that compulsive about their plugs?

waynne said:
Do you remember setting gaps on plugs and points? Those were the days - the amount of time I wasted getting the gaps right on multi electrode plugs! :rolleyes:

I have a friend who doubles his gap and he swears by the method, so you've just confirmed that for me :D .

I bet you don't line up the electrodes with the intake valves? Surely no one is that compulsive about their plugs?

No mate,this site is the first time Ive heard of this beinjg done!
And yes I well remember the days of tinkering with points etc,Out there with my bit of fine emery cloth cleaning the points,adjusting the carb float needle with a glob of Araldite etc :lol: .The good old days!
( You notice I havent posted on the " How old are you" thread :oops: :wink: )

The how old are you thread is anonymous, let me write down the current votes before you tick a box! :lol: