What are the best mods for a Citroen Saxo?

What Saxo and how much money do you want to spend?

I realise you posted a long time ago and aren't likely to check back but for a VTR/VTS the best mods to start off with are:
*De-Cat exhaust system (such as magnex)
*A decent aftermarket air filter (encolsed rather than open air induction)
*Stainless steel exhaust manifold (such a GMC)
*Uprated cams (such as piper 285's or kent pt51's)
You will need an ECU remap to run the last two

But you will probably get more out of your Saxo performace wise with uprated brakes, tyres and suspension. Providing you don't always drive in a striaght line that is!

If you do get round to reading this and you want some more information I'd be more than happy to attempt to answer any questions.

Thanks for the tips Freddie - I'll pass them on to Ginch if he's still around - you seem to know your saxo's well. Do you know if the brakes from a pug 206 GTi will fit cos the brakes on the VTi are not fantastic. I think before you make a car go faster you should be able to stop it. Do you know of a supercharger kit also?

I agree that before you shell out lots of money on power form your car it is best to cover the handling aspects. Obviously for safety reasons, you don't want to spend several thousand pounds modding your lump only to wrap it around a tree! But also you will notice suspension upgrades more if you drive around twisty roads or more adviseably on the track.. In this sense you will get more for your money modding outside of the engine bay (and no I don't mean lexus lights!!!)

As for the possibilities of 206 brakes on a Saxo, I really couldn't tell you. There are plenty of 'big brake' kits for Saxo's, the main problem being fitting them behind the small standard Saxo wheels.

As far as I know, the most popular and widely used supercharger is made by Rotrex. The stage 4 kit, including a 'charge cooler' and the nessessary work to get it running will set you back around £4,000 and will see an output of around 170 brake on a VTS. It can make the engine running temperature very hot and therefore probably not utilising the full power of the engine.

£4k sounds like a lot of money, and I agree it is; but surely worth it, even if just for the thrill of doing this?! Supercharged VTS vs. Impreza 1/4Mile Video!

Obviously the more power you put under the bonnet, the more you will have to shell out on things like a new clutch or gearbox.. The list is pretty endless!

Each to their own..

But I think there is/will be more classic Euro cars than Asian cars.. :p

Can't fault the Japs for reliability though..

dont decat! tinny, does sweet FA too :D you exhaust exit on a backbox should be no more than 2 1/2 inches if you actually want to keep your performance and drivablity

oh btw i used 20 litres of 99ron from tescos, and with quite abit of abuse i got flikin 32MPG! dont know where the hell thats come from but im liking the 6quid i spent on a new thermostat!

I don't see how a thermostat could make much difference, I think that last comment from Nick should be taken with a pinch of salt! :lol:

If the engine runs hotter then it will be more economical. My mate has an RS6 and he removed a fan and got a hotter thermostat and it gave him an extra 5 mpg!!!

thermostat wasnt sealing shut fully, (took ages to heat up/very low running temp) Switched it over for a slightly higher rated stat and runs near on the fan cutting in, MPG improvment of about 8, and a heater matrix that blows hot air 8)