What are the best mods for a car

You can look at this question a number of ways, I'm going to go with the most cost effective power gains you can get.

1) Remap on a Turbo engine.
2) Fast road cams
3) Engine swap to a more powerful engine.
4) Increase compression ratio
5) Gas flowing the head

4&5 are quite expensive mods considering the gains but combined with the others can help make decent power figures.

NASP engines are harder and more expensive to tune than forced induction ones.

Don't waste time on sports exhausts and induction kits unless you know for sure the standard setup is restrictive.

On a standard, or sightly tuned, road car weight reduction which leaves the car comfortable and quiet isn't worth doing as no improvement will be noticed. To see a measurable gain you would have to strip out everything not required to actually make the car go - eg passenger seats, spare tyre, carpets, underlay, sound deadening, heater, door cards, ICE, roof lining etc, etc :)

better brakes , decent suspension and good tyres will often make the car faster than stage one upgrades.
and it will be safer and the insurance company wont have a relapse.

I would have to agree with Sleeper's choice which coincidentally was exactly what I done to my own car first. The brakes were a Hirsch (Swedish performance company) upgrade, the suspension was Koni FSD with 20mm lower & stiffer springs, the tyres were Pirelli P-Zero. This setup made me look like a much better driver than I really am, I amazed myself at how bold I became taking bends at speed (all within the limit I might add) and able to brake in the shortest distances in total confidence. :)
As that old T9 saying goes: If your car is all go but can't slow then prepare to kiss your derriere goodbye! ;)

decent tyres, uprated suspension and uprate the brakes, you can normally transfer the brakes off a higher spec model onto your car :)

power wise bang for buck on a petrol turbo or turbo diesel has to be a remap

n/a tuning is quite expensive bang for buck as has been said above the things that improve power noticeably are expensive eg cams/ported head/throttle bodies etc