What are induction kits

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We get a few people asking about induction kits and whether they work on certain cars. Some people don't even really know what they are or what they do so we have a primer article that covers the basics and answers a few of the frequently asked questions.

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/induction-kit-intro.php

I've tried to be objective although I only really see induction kits as asthetic mods on most cars with a nice induction sound.

Any pointers to add to this article? Any tips to pass on? What about fuel economy with induction kits? Those i've spoke too say it's better if they don't use the extra performance, is this true of you?

Induction kits cover a multitude of sins, most installations carried out by the younger generation are typically poorly installed and are for aethetics and sound.

The most common kits are open cone and enclosed. Open cone being that and often seen mounted to the throttle body within the engine bay, not good as said you are just sucking in warm, less dense air. An ideal open cone is remotely located so the filter is away from the engine bay and given as much fresh air as possible. Fully enclosed kits are commonly seen as the coffee tin sized cannistor made from carbon fibre (BMC CDA) and these can be engine bay mounted with an external cold air feed. Both installed with remote cold air feed will give most gains in terms of bhp and mpg as they are not affected by engine bay temperatures whilst in stop/start traffic. They are also quieter than the aforementioned open cone in engine bay fitment.

All these give as best as you will get on a road car set-up with the cars bumpers, lights and bodywork limiting the runs for the pipes. An ideal induction kit is one with as big an aperture you can get for its entry and this decreases in volume until it reaches the throttle body aperture. Any increase in volume in this run looses the ram-air effect.

"volumetric efficiency correcting tuned induction system" (VECTIS) as was developed for 750 superbikes and BTCC back in the early 90s.

Depends on your definition of an induction kit. IMO all cars are fitted with at least one otherwise the air and fuel wouldn't be able to get into the engine :)

I have an induction kit for the Elan, but it is home made. 125mm diameter pipe (insulated) from turbo to large cone filter mounted under the headlamp with direct air feed from front of car and isolated from the engine bay.

So induction kits are fitted to all cars. If you are looking to improve performance don't mess with the one fitted by the manufacturer unless you know what you are doing :)

Difficult one really, I did read an article somewhere which told yopu how to measure how restrictive your induction system is (who ever it is made by) I'll see if I can find the article out as it would be really helpful to people wanting to make improvements that actually work!

It's a very comprehensive article that gives insite of pressure drop in the intake system and how to replace the offending part.

Difficult one really, I did read an article somewhere which told yopu how to measure how restrictive your induction system is (who ever it is made by) I'll see if I can find the article out as it would be really helpful to people wanting to make improvements that actually work!

It's a very comprehensive article that gives insite of pressure drop in the intake system and how to replace the offending part.

using a manometer ? - of the cheap version of a bottle an pipe and some water