What advantages over NASP and Turbo

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a NASP engine over a turbo.

Am I right in thinking that turbos are more economical? Are NASP engines more reliable?

no and not always

am going from my last cars on the economical side as they have the turbo so you drive them a bit faster on the turbo so your mpg goes down but the smile factor goes up all the time you are not looking at the mpg trip
my old volvo used to do about 25 ish round town driving like a old man but as soon as you started going a bit faster and the turbo was kicking in it went do to normaly 10-13 mpg

and are nasp more reliable all goes on how its looked after if but turbo and n/a are serviced and oil changed every 5000 miles then they should last about the same reason why must turbo engines fail are cos of lack of oil changes
witch blocks the oil ways to the turbo no cooling and they stop

Luton's covered all the points.

For every single advantage of a NATASP engine over a supercharged (turbochargers are only exhaust driven superchargers) one there's a counter argument in favour of supercharging.

Assuming a car is properly maintained then driving style will have more impact upon fuel usage than any other single factor.

For fuel economy, you'll find that the listed economy for a TC is less than it's NA equivalent on a per unit displacement basis.

However, on a per unit power basis the TC becomes more economical.

Of course, having a lead foot can ruin that.

For fuel economy, you'll find that the listed economy for a TC is less than it's NA equivalent on a per unit displacement basis.

However, on a per unit power basis the TC becomes more economical.

Of course, having a lead foot can ruin that.

I agree. Having a car with superb listed fuel figures is pointless if you're outright goal is performance.

Matching car to driver profile and driving style is the best way to achieve sensible fuel economy.