Were cars more fun 20 years ago

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Thinking of all those great cars from the 90's do you think they were more fun?

We have ABS, Anti Skid, auto cruise, hill assist, electronic brakes, power steering etc.. have these developments taken some of the enjoyment out of driving?

The impact protection and safety mods and weight of air conditioning and other addons have slowed cars down and affected the handling. Is this a good thing or not?

not sure if its taken the enjoyment out of them but they were sure as hell easier to fix, got petrol? Got spark? It would work lol

That's very true @Alazqrusv6 you could pretty much fix anything with a pocket knife back then. Admittedly though you often had to fix problems, which are rarer nowadays. But now most of the things that go wrong require a diagnostic computer and a comprehensive knowledge of electronics.

exactly, if the engine fan wasnt working, pop the wires off and join them together so its on all the time. Risk taking a ford through a puddle, make sure you are ready with a rag to dry out the dizzy cap when it either konks out or starts missing. No need for alarms amd immobilisers. Jist take the coil lead off the dizzy cap. As you say now a days everything needs a computer to fix it, there were no such things as fault codes back in the day. Crikey im sounding old lol.

My car is 19 years old and is more fun that some newer cars. I wouldn't say it was easy to fix with a pocket knife though!
Maybe go back 30 years to 80's cars for the simple life :)

That's very true. Not many cars and no potholes! Or were you thinking back to the horse and cart days? ;)