Well I'm looking at 323 or 525s

Kevo205

Car
BMW 323i(hopefully)
My budget is low, £1.5-3k is tops really. I've seen some tidy looking and 'fsh'd' 10 year old examples of 323s, 325s and 525s. I've kinda set my heart on the 3 series but the 525s are nice as well.

Does this raise any particular concerns with anyone here, does anyone have any advice on common problems to look out for, or recommend any alternatives... etc.

From my preliminary research these cars aren't often ragged to death and are generally looked after. Can anyone confirm or correct me on this?

Cheers all.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it has a full service history and 2 owners or less you will be laughing.

Keep an eye out for bad body repairs, panels not matching etc...

Also check for oil leaks and smoking engine from cold and under load. In the main though they are pretty reliable cars and shouldn't give you much trouble.

Nice advice, didn't think about that.

The toughest decision I'm facing is the higher-specced, better-cared-for 525 or the sportier-looking (lighter? better handling?) 323...

Its one of the reasons I'm pushing the boundary of my budget on this one, BMWs seem to be treated well by their owners.

Done my research and the 5 series takes an unfortunate ugly turn after 1996.. The allure of the E34 just isn't there with the E39 (1995-2003)

As I'm after reliable, economic POWER in an awesome looking car I think I'm hovering around the later E36 models.

So for any 1998-2000 plate E36s (2.5 or 2.8 I've not yet decided) is there any specific problems to worry about? Thanks guys.

well, i had 325 e36 a year ago. great car i think. if you are going to buy one look at the rusty places, e36 model didn't have rust protection.

if you are thinking about the engine:
- take 2.8 m52 - if you want to stay it standard, nice acceleration without big fuel consumption
- take 2.5 m50b25 without vanos - if you want to make it turbo or something ;)

be aware if You see something getting out of exhaust, or hear some noise when engine is running. it should be very smooth while working idle.

here is mine 325 after few mods, look at details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5UGYtw316A