Weird noise

bax

Torque Junkie
Car
Rexton 270xdi 2005
sup its been a while , with my luck im back with more issues :p

back when i had a simple remap i used to hear this suction/blow out noise when driving between 2000-3000 Rpm , now the past week i upgraded to a more aggressive map that added me an extra 30hp and 80Nm and since then the noise became louder and became more like a whistle or a screech , it comes from the passenger side possibly the turbo or the Air filter or maybe somewhere in the downpipe .
i cant re-create the sound when in Neutral gear ..i also took apart the Air duct and inspected the filter and the Turbo for any visible damage but found nothing (i asked owners with the same car and similar Remap and such and they all find it strange since they dont have such a sound on their vehicle so theres an issue here)

any ideas what can cause such a noise ? ill try to upload a vid later to give a better idea as to what it sounds like

Well i took out the air duct and checked the Turbo fan , i can move it slightly but its enough to make it brush against the walls ... i guess its time to get a new turbo ..

Bare with me on this i could use some directions
the current worn out turbo is a GT2056S and my Rexton (2.7 Liter) was on 220HP(Crank) 460Nm ... the limit to what my Engine/transmission can handle without upgrading is 480Nm .
i dont plan on touching the engine because there arent any experts around my area that know anything about Rextons , so there will be no future plans to go past the limit

i need a turbo that spools fast and dosnt generate too much heat , something reliable and fitting for those numbers something better than the GT2056 .. your thoughts ?

sounds quite strong .. i cant help but worry that if i do use this turbo it will be way past the limit of the engine/transmission ... from what i understand its powerband is 250hp-360hp which is far out of my engines league .. Currently at 220Hp and very close to the limit on Torque 460 out of 480Nm ... i should mention that my current map runs 1.7Bar of boost which would fit great on the Potato compressor map but it will probably grant me way more power than what the car can handle ...

Do correct me if im wrong im not so good with turbos

you mean that i can Reduce the boost pressure in order to keep the power in the safe range right ? that would require a custom map for the Ecu i believe ...
if you can explain to me the idea behind boost pressure , which is faster 220Hp with 1.7Bar boost or 220Hp with 1Bar boost ..Same power output but different boost , im guessing the one with the higher boost would feel faster and will spool faster .. correct me if im wrong but if my previous statement is true then wouldnt it be better for me to stick to a similar turbo to the one i have ?

The same power from a lower boost pressure is better as the turbo outlet air temps will be lower.

IMO they would perform much the same. BUT I would check with whoever remapped your car first.

sigh ... well i didnt get enough time to search for a fitting turbo or one willing to build a fitting flange to install on my engine so after a few days i found a similar used turbo in good shape and bought it , Sadly it didnt solve the issue .. something else is causing the noise and so far were having a hard time solving this ....
this is starting to get on my nerves , wasted (Not spent but wasted because i got nothing in return) 1000$ trying to fix this issue and i came out with nothing ...

all i can tell you is this , if i disconnect both pipes that go in and out of the turbo and run the engine , its smooth and theres no noise , if i connect the pipe coming from the top to the intercooler the sound returns .... so that crosses out the chance for the issue to be related to the air duct or air filter , and now we know for sure its not the turbo >.< ..

im starting to suspect the emission/Egr system , its the only thing close enough to the turbo that can be responsible for the noise , with the hood up it sounds like its coming from the turbo no doubt but maybe theres something around the turbo thats making that noise , im thinking maybe a cracked EGR pipe or Downpipe , im not sure what to suspect anymore