Torque Cars

Water pump fault?

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by trumpet30, 24 March 2013.

1. trumpet30

trumpet30 Wrench Pro

Car:
    VW Polo 1.4TDI
    My friend has an 02 punto 1.2. The pipes to and from the radiator were cold even when the engine was hot and the fan would come on (obviously because the engine was getting hot).

I have changed the thermostat for them but it I am not sure if there is another problem. The temperture gauge goes above norm and only when you rev the car does the temperature suddenly drop. when this happens there is no heating in the car until it is revved. When revved the water is definately going through the rad now but only when you rev the car.

The car also runs rough until it warms up (I think the head gasket may have gone).

Is this a water pump issue or do you think it is something else as it seems that u only get heating and can cool the engine when revving it.

2. herb

herb modherbrator Moderator

west midlands
    Car:
    Seat Leon Cupra
    when you're reving are the pipes to and from the radiator getting warm or are they still cold?

3. trumpet30

trumpet30 Wrench Pro

Car:
    VW Polo 1.4TDI
    Top pipe is getting radiant heat from the engine and the bottom one stats cold. When you rev the engine both get really hot as does the radiator.

4. HugoBoss

HugoBoss The Torque Meister

Australia NSW
    Car:
    r33 skyline gtst
    Sounds like a water pump busy going out, check your engine oil for a milky look, this is a good infication when your head gascet is blown.

5. trumpet30

trumpet30 Wrench Pro

Car:
    VW Polo 1.4TDI
    Is there a way to test if the water pump is working.

6. HugoBoss

HugoBoss The Torque Meister

Australia NSW
    Car:
    r33 skyline gtst
    Radiator might be blocked too, if water is very dirty this could be, if not, considering cabin heater not working, assuming new thermostat works and at manufacturers setting I really think water pump is on it's way out, no water leaking from the water pump? Does the car use a lot of water? Is the oil blackish or milkyish.