Warranty - HELP!!!

chris101

Car
Audi
I took out my warranty with Warrantywise in the 2nd week of January 12 after extensive research of warranty companies.
After asking many questions via email to WW apart what they cover, what would happen if the part became faulty etc and was given many assurances.

Unfortunately within 3 weeks of my cover during the weather change in Britain becoming much colder, one morning while commuting to work a noticed a shudder when the gears changed in my A4 Multitronic gearbox.

I immediately took it to the garage where they advised it was a common fault with the ECU (a part which is covered in my cover) which required replacing and kept my car at the garage while contacting WW.
My garage contacted WW and gave information regarding the fault.
It took WW 2 days to get in contact with me requesting my full service history proof and MOT.
I sent an email back with the proof requested on the same day and it took another 2 days for them to respond and advise they did not receive my email.
I simply forwarded the original emails I had sent back and then had to chase them 3-4 times during the day before they finally advise most likely an inspector would be coming out but could not confirm until Monday.

My car had been kept at the garage for 5days now.

Called WW on Monday as again hey had failed to contact me, which they advised an inspector would be coming to see the car on Tuesday.
Tuesday came and went and no phone call. Chased WW at the end of Tuesday and they said they would have the inspectors report by Wednesday.

Wednesday came and I finally Received a call during Wednesday afternoon.

Unfortunately due to you not returning a signed copy of the warranty plan, we have rejected your claim.
I had to explain and forward my email trail of proof that a warranty plan was already accepted via email and the sales rep at the time had advised my warranty was up and running.
However they required me to again send a confirmation email that I accepted their T&S's before they could progress my claim and they would not deal with me until I did regardless of the fact of the email trail proof and monies taken.

Once I sent the confirmation this morning I had to chase 3 times during the day and finally 10mins before the repairs team closed, I got a phone call saying they have rejected my claim based on the grounds that since taking out the policy I covered only 380miles and therefore the failure must of been progressing before taking out the warranty cover.

At no point this failure was transparent before the cold weather and since owning the car, there was no other times the car had shuddered.

I have asked them for proof of how it is a progressive fault but I don't believe they will be able to prove it.

During the time this claim was going on I got my partner to email them and get information on what grounds they cover the ECU on the gearbox and they said as long as there was proof it was working and and pre-inspection was not needed, they would be able to cover the part.

I am going to summarise a letter/email to the director of the company and see if anything further can be down but after my nightmare experience of 2 weeks where my car is still at the garage, I am not optimistic at all.

Would would you advise I do with my approach?

Thanks

Get a friendly solicitor to write a letter for you. This should move them into action. Can they prove that the fault was there before the policy was taken out? With things like this they either work or don't work, there is no deterioration or wear and tear to contend with.

I don't believe they can prove the fault was there but neither can I. The garage said the computers do not show logs on when it originally occurred.

This was the latest response -
Reply from the main man himself -
Thanks for your email. I'm sorry that you feel you haven't received the best service from us. Looking through your correspondence we've reacted in good time to your queries but the delay in you signing the proposal form has slowed things down. I'm sorry the engineer didn't get to your car quicker but this something we find difficult to control as they're often very busy with long travelling times.

As far as your claim goes, it would seem that after such a small mileage since the inception of the warranty, the gearbox fault may have been pre-existing. In my experience these failures don't suddenly happen, but get worse over time and mileage.

I'm willing to re-examine your claim if there's evidence to support a sudden failure or that the fault developed in the short time after you'd taken out the warranty. Like medical and home insurance, no used car warranty company can offer cover for faults that were present on vehicles before the warranty came into force.

I do feel though that your expectation of our warranty conditions may a problem and as --- has advised, we're willing to offer you a full refund.

did you buy the car privately our from a garage? Would the seller be happy to confirm that there were no faults with the gearbox when it was sold.

380 miles seems to my mind like a reasonable test to me. Surely if it was pre existing it would have become apparent sooner.

Check with citizens advice but I think the burden of proof lies with the warranty company. Perhaps an independent engineers report will add weight to your argument with them.

Last edited:
The car was bought privately.
From what I remember, before the sale she had the car checked for issues by a garage and apart from a service, tyres change and a passenger side air bag light (which she got resolved), these were the only issues on the car.

According to the warranty company, they had an independent inspector visit the car but they are saying it is the underwriters who have come to this conclusion....

See what she can come up with in the form of a letter for you.

I think a solicitors letter is probably the best way forward on this issue though.

Is there a clause in the policy that says they won't pay out for things that happen in the first few months of cover or within a certain mileage?

I don't believe they can prove the fault was there but neither can I. The garage said the computers do not show logs on when it originally occurred.

This was the latest response -
Reply from the main man himself -
Thanks for your email. I'm sorry that you feel you haven't received the best service from us. Looking through your correspondence we've reacted in good time to your queries but the delay in you signing the proposal form has slowed things down. I'm sorry the engineer didn't get to your car quicker but this something we find difficult to control as they're often very busy with long travelling times.

As far as your claim goes, it would seem that after such a small mileage since the inception of the warranty, the gearbox fault may have been pre-existing. In my experience these failures don't suddenly happen, but get worse over time and mileage.

I'm willing to re-examine your claim if there's evidence to support a sudden failure or that the fault developed in the short time after you'd taken out the warranty. Like medical and home insurance, no used car warranty company can offer cover for faults that were present on vehicles before the warranty came into force.

I do feel though that your expectation of our warranty conditions may a problem and as --- has advised, we're willing to offer you a full refund.

Taking your money is already proof that they have accepted the policy. There is no way to deny anything regarding this point. In court they wouldn't stand a chance.

1st bold quote: The fault is evident. Whether the fault was developing or not ison them to prove. If they fail to prove this then they have to pay out.

2nd bold quote: His experience is totally irrelevant. He is not qualified to make any claims.

3rd bold quote: This statement is pure speculation. Additionally, how does he want to define what is suddenly, get worse and when the start is !?! And last but not least this statement is a load of rubbish as either the fault is there from day one or it did suddenly develop.

4th bold quote: I would take this as a personal insult indicating that the guy in a round about way accuses you of a fraudulent claim.

I am sure there is more holes to poke in their rubbish, but this should be enough.

It might also be good to look at this site:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk