Want a car with more interior space

I know what you're at. It's for that reason that I choose large cars. Even the 406 was only about 3 inches shorter than the 5 series.

Larger cars are also very good choices on the used market with attractive prices.

Still looking. Thanks to MA I now know that there is a 5 door Focus ST around I have another car to try out!

We're quite taken with the Passat 2.0TFSI Saloon, there is a lot of space inside and the stats are quite good. Faster than mine and probably only 1mpg down! Not a big fan of the chrome interior styling though but this can be dealt with.

This weekend will be looking at a 330D and A4 Avant as well going round Honda and Subaru dealerships to see what they have to offer.

A local employer "Pfizer" has announced it's pulling out. There will be around 4000-5000 job losses (including contractors and subsidiary businesses rather than the headline 2500 employed staff.) It means the area gets a massive blow and the 2500 staff average wage was probably around £30-£40K! a LOT OF MONEY. It will mean house prices and CAR PRICES (Particularly of large Audis and Saloon cars) will drop big time so I might be up for getting a bargain!

I am in no rush. TBH I don't want to get rid of the A3, it's been a good reliable car and there is nothing wrong with it and I know it has a lot of life left in it.

alot of these end up in auctions dont they ?

Some do turn up at auction.

However, many fleet lease operators will sell privately or perhaps offer young cars for a second term lease.

For £250-£350 a month you can source some nice machinery.

OK, you'll never own it outright unless you take the option to purchase but there's a nice feel about simply paying for the use of a car.

Fixed budget - no surprises - no sudden bills for repairs etc etc.

The 330d was very impressive. It had more go than a go thing that wanted to go! The inside looks a bit sparce and clinical and it had white/cream leather seats which just looked odd! I could certainly live with it if the right colour/interior came along but they are like hens teeth at the moment.

The Seat Exeo is also worthy of mention, you get a lot of car for your money and they are both fast and economical.

The Passat was VERY spacious but the exterior was a bit too big for town parking and the interior only looked good if you had the R32!

It's a shame the VAG TD engines don't like short journeys which make up the bulk of my driving!

I think we have seen the car that fits the bill. It is not massive inside but gives us more space than the A3 (which is really cramped) and it has a nice big boot.

It is an Audi A4 T FSi Quattro S line Limited edition Avant. The performance stats are quite impressive and MPG is around 31 so not massively down on ours.

It has some pretty meaty brakes. Trouble is next year it's due a cambelt change at £400 and the Tax band and Extra fuel will cost us an extra £280 a year, plus the 18inch alloys take some pretty pricy rubber so i've asked for a discount to make it interesting for us. Also it needs DAB radio which might be quite expensive to add. :(

Attachments

• mediaCATTOW07.jpg
    mediaCATTOW07.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0
Probably slightly more than the A4 if I'm honest as the dash doesn't take up as much space. At the back the saloon roof drops away coupe style which would make getting in and out harder for an old person with limited mobility so the touring version is a good proposition. Boot storage space was excellent in the BMW Touring as well. The remap will also yield a large MPG increase as well! Crazy isn't it, it would almost be rude not to.

Come and join me and HDi in the world of BMWs!

It was an emergency purchase - money was (still is) in short supply.

Just over £5k bought me comfort and half-decent performance (it's only a 528i, after all).

I actually dislike the image that the badge projects, to be brutally honest.

They are, however, very well assembled cars and are likely to give good service over extended mileages.

Personally I'd have taken a Saab 9-5 or Volvo S80, for example(s), in preference but at the moment the simplicity of a naturally aspirated engine and RWD together means that servicing and maintenance is far cheaper than either of those models.

It's too late! you BMW guys already own the place! ;)
I need some Saab allies for backup around here, the Bavarian train is on a roll now and barging us lesser mortals out the way :lol:

@T9 - read my previous post :)

@Prince - yes, I agree, I think Audi has become the new BMW. They, too, are extremely well built cars and worthy of anyone's consideration.

There's millions of reasons not to dismiss Ford's Mondeo as well.

I have, however, always liked BMW's inline six engines for their silky power delivery. An inline six is the simplest configuration which offers perfect primary and secondary balance without need to resort to internal balancer shafts.