Want a car with more interior space

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I need a slightly bigger car (family commitments - mother in law :()!

We looked at the Lexus IS and although it was a lot bigger than our A3 the interior space was even smaller!

The newer Golf has more interior space as does the Leon Cupra and this is probably the smallest we can live with but we'll probably go to an A4 or Passat sized car. Ideally we want a larger hatchback but I think we are going to have to go with a saloon or perhaps an estate style car.

It needs to do 0-60 in under 8 seconds, return over 33 mpg have 4 or 5 doors and be nice to drive, it must also be petrol because we do so many short journeys we will kill any diesel DPF or similar device in a very short time. Unless you know of a diesel that can cope with lots of <2m journeys per week.

What do you think then? Budget is around the £15k mark.

Don't really want the MPG below 30 - the wife will not be too impressed with that and with the way fuel prices are going and the fact I keep my cars for 5-9 years it is a fair consideration.

Haven't looked at the BMW's at all yet.

The GS 430 was even larger on the outside but only slightly bigger on the inside.

You could always get the mother in law an umbrella and a bus pass and buy the car of your choice :lol: Failing that, have a look at a Saab 9-5 or a Volvo S60.

how about a mondeo? ST220 or a similarly spec'd newer model, not too sure on the figures but it's a nice car to drive and roomy inside as well

mazda rx8:amuse:

just had a quick look on autotrader and for me i would have a evo or scooby for 10k! then the extra 5k could offset the mpg;)

What about an A6 Allroad. :amuse:

Bite the bullet and get a people carrier, then after a couple of months you can start working your good lady wife around to the idea of a small project car for you...

Like another Tomcat, you know you want too. :bigsmile:​

What about an A6 Allroad. :amuse:

Bite the bullet and get a people carrier, then after a couple of months you can start working your good lady wife around to the idea of a small project car for you...

Like another Tomcat, you know you want too. :bigsmile:​

Ah! a glimpse there of a devious mind at work! :)

A6 is a bit too big, I still need to park it near the town. A4 is about as large as I need to go for the interior space, the Passat was very roomy inside, maybe a little bit too big.

The Impreza WRX Estate might be worth a punt, the MPG is going to be low but I think i'd be happy with the performance.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep em coming.

I have actually also considered a Yeti, they are not bad little cars at all. You'd need the 4 wheel drive 170TD though.

There's also the Superb whilst you're looking at Skodas.

Fairly new ones in your price range on Autotrader (but not the 2.0 170, sadly).

Does the BMW 330d 325d have particulate filter issues on short journeys and what is the interior space like in them?

Don't know of any problems with the BMW DPFs but are you sure you want a 3 series? They're not particularly spacious. A 525d would be a better proposition.

The A3 is so cramped you need to move the front seats forward if you have an adult behind.

I've not tried a 3 Series or 5 series yet. I didn't want to end up with a massive car and I think the 5 series will struggle to fit on my tiny drive (barely the size of a modern garage!).

The Passat you mentioned does have lots of space inside, it's just not that quick unless I went for the uneconomical R one!

Try the 3 series - it might suit you but I don't think that the inside is much bigger than an A3, especially in the back. I am a true 6'4" and that's why I drive about in large cars.

Other options are Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo perhaps. All three are very nice cars.

How about a Subaru Forester (the estate style one's, not new SUV style cars). All the go of an Impreza (if your get one with the PPP) but with a more useful body shape.

Last edited:
tardis.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know of any problems with the BMW DPFs but are you sure you want a 3 series? They're not particularly spacious. A 525d would be a better proposition.

I've gotta disagree with that. I can get adults in the back of mine and it's a coupe.

The best thing to do is to view one and see what you think.

Then I'd sit behind the passenger, you'd be really unluck if everyone was tall, and if they were you'd struggle for space in all but the biggest cars. I'm used to travelling four up to work and back in all sorts of cars, including my own (for work you see) and there's always a way around it.

The rear legroom in my mates 56 plate A4 estate is shocking though, four of us went up to Scotland in that and it was NOT comfortable at all!