VW Beetle Engine Help/Options??

JDMaaad

Car
Volkswagen Golf
Thinking of a getting a VW Beetle which is in the late 1960's(Exact year not sure) but the engine is well.....slow...old....under-powered? So thinking of putting real work into the car such as Engine Swap.
Questions:
-How much hp can get out with the stock engine?
-Can the stock engine be turbo'd?
-Can i put a 2JZ/1JZ/RB engine in it?
-Roundabout much would it cost to get the engine swapped?

Not sure of power availability from the stock Beetle engine but I have heard of Porsche engines being fitted to these with great success.

Hi and welcome.

Lots of pieces of string here :)

You can get as much power from a stock engine as your pocket will allow. However, not much of the stock engine would be left. Define what you mean by stock. Are you asking how much power is available using stock parts?
Yes
Yes
Depends on engine you plan to install.

As og said you can put pretty much any engine is any car but the Easiest swop by far is to fit a Porsche motor .

It is so much easier than fitting an RB or a jz engine as it has the same basic shape and it is a documented swop -

even I wouldn't put an RB motor in a beetle

As og said you can put pretty much any engine is any car but the Easiest swop by far is to fit a Porsche motor .

It is so much easier than fitting an RB or a jz engine as it has the same basic shape and it is a documented swop -

even I wouldn't put an RB motor in a beetle
Fair enough, it might be a bit off to fit a RB in it, but its amazing engine, as fitting a Porsche engine in it, it might be really expensive to get a Porsche engine rather a RB/JZ??

Hi and welcome.

Lots of pieces of string here :)

You can get as much power from a stock engine as your pocket will allow. However, not much of the stock engine would be left. Define what you mean by stock. Are you asking how much power is available using stock parts?
Yes
Yes
Depends on engine you plan to install.
I was actually asking if i decided to work(Turbo, cams, radiator, intercooler,exhaust,transmission etc) on the stock engine(that very engine came in the Beetle itself), how much HP will i be able to add to the stock engine i worked on, i don't want to retain the "stock" of the car but improve it for better speed and fun.
How much HP can i add with 5-10k?

it might be really expensive to get a Porsche engine rather a RB/JZ??

From what I gather you should try looking at breakers yards, there are a few Porsches around who have met there deaths due to the drivers skills not matching the cars prowess.

From what I gather you should try looking at breakers yards, there are a few Porsches around who have met there deaths due to the drivers skills not matching the cars prowess.
Found 3 engines so far:
Porsche 944 2.5ltr Engine
1981 PORSCHE 924 2litre engine
Porsche Boxster 1997

Found 3 engines so far:
Porsche 944 2.5ltr Engine
1981 PORSCHE 924 2litre engine
Porsche Boxster 1997

That's a great start, one of our esteemed members on here, @Aerial Andy944 knows the 944 inside and out as he had a particular potent one for a while, I am sure he will be able to offer you some sound advice with regards to that engine.

Unfortunately 924 / 944 porsche engines wont wfit without mucho work

You need one of the flat 4 or 6 cyl. motors thats a 912 or 911.

AFAIK rest are normal configuration so same issues as an RB/jz

You would never fit an RB engine and box into the back of a beetle but if you really want one Ive got a spare rb25 simgle turbo engine and box etc you can jave for a very reasonable sum.

Hi. Thanks Os for the tag, missed this thread over the weekend. Guys have answered it really but to clarify the 944 engine is watercooled and is essentially half of the 5ltr V8 from the 928 model. The flat 6 engine from the 911 range is the engine to be looking at. A 3.2ltr Air cooled engine from a 1980s era car should be widely available. A 964 or 993 engine will be more powerful but are very desirable so quite expensive I would imagine.
I know the Porsche flat 6 engine fits well but as to how it's done ?-/

I'm speaking from the States, so....we had VW vans over here with 3L motors. The 3 liter motor can bolt right up in place of the smaller one, the stronger trans also. Then a set of dual port heads and you can easily put 300HP to the tires.

I've seen 1/8mile drags here in San Diego with a VW that pulled the wheels at the line, and they only came down at the finish when he lifted the throttle. HOT!

People build the crap (oops, can't sh_t I guess) out of VW's around here, there are all the parts you need. Here at least it is kind of cheap to build them also. Porsche, not so inexpensive.

I'm hoping that VW parts are as easy to get in the UK.

I wish I had been on here when this question had been posted, LOL . My 1966 VW Bug has 400 flywheel HP and 366 rwhp and I drive it on the street. When I had it my race car it went 6.35 in the 1/8th mile . To answer the original question yes you can use many of your original parts to increase your performance level of the car. The aftermarket options for your car are only dependent on your finances. If you have any specific questions feel free to email me and I will help you any way I can.Here is a video of my former race car, red one in right lane,