vw beetle 1300 engine trouble help needed!

tracystone

Car
vw 1300 beetle 1971
Hi

I'm a first time poster. I was wondering if anyone can help me.

My beetle lost power and conked out on a steep hill. There was a burning smell and white smoke bellowing from the engine. Could it be the piston rings or, as someone suggest, have i cooked the engine?

Perhaps its something else entirely. Iwould be greatful for any ideas

Thanks

whte smoke would normally mean collent in the cylinders but as these air cooled cant see it being that.

piston rings gone - should produce blue/black smoke form the burning oil

theres a few members that have had bugs in the past so might be albe to help you more

Is it an air cooled beetle? Was the oil at the correct level? Have you had it looked at yet?

thanks for your replies guys.
i havn't had it looked at yet and yes the engine is air cooled and the oil is fine.

Hi

I'm a first time poster. I was wondering if anyone can help me.

My beetle lost power and conked out on a steep hill. There was a burning smell and white smoke bellowing from the engine. Could it be the piston rings or, as someone suggest, have i cooked the engine?

Perhaps its something else entirely. Iwould be greatful for any ideas

Thanks

It's more likely that the smoke was more light blue/grey. I would think that you've blown the oil ring on at least one cylinder which would explain the smoke. Probably broken compression rings would explain the power loss. Although all this happening at once is unlikely. Perhaps you've cracked or blown the top off a piston.

Also, some fuel stations have contaminated fuel with water present in the fuel. Drain your tank completely and clean it out then refill with fresh clean fuel. Also put a litre or two of metholated spirits in the tank. Metholated spirits absorbs water and it can then be burnt in the engine.

A final thought, If you have a buggered spark plug this could produce a light coloured oil smoke so check your spark plugs and your ignition leads plus your distributor cap, it may be cracked or have tracking marks.