VR4 help with gearbox

glyn

Car
galant 2.0 glx
hi all, I currently have a legnum vr4 on my garden, it starts and the engine runs okay, but the gearbox (auto) won't select a gear, it makes a buzzing noise when you select a gear and the revs fall but it won't engage a gear, can anyone help me ? I just want to know if it's potentially an easy fix or if it's a new gearbox, thanks for any help in advance also things to note, gearbox oil is above the hot mark when it's cold, its a 1996 import

If I interpret the oil level reading correctly it sounds like it is overfilled :blink:

On my auto dipstick cold is at the bottom and hot is at the top, I would expect to see the oil at the top only after the auto gearbox has reached temperature, some auto fluids expand quite a lot when hot. With the pressure build up leaving the oil nowhere to go I assume that some damage may have happened to some of the components now.

I would be inclined to have the gearbox drained and filled to the correct level, you maybe lucky and the gearbox might be ok. Wiser people than I will no doubt be along in a while who should be able to advise you further or better.

Has it had work on it that might have damaged or moved some of the selector rods?

On one of my old cars 3rd gear retaining bolt was right next to the fill plug bolt and if you unscrewed the wrong one you lost 3rd gear.

yes it's deffo overfilled it's above the hot when it's cold, it's well above the hot, I'm told the car has been stood for four years because the gearbox wasn't working, from what I can see nothing has been played with, I just didn't want to waste my money on gearbox oil if the gearbox was deffo dead, also the suspension spring is broken on the gearbox side so it's not that easy to climb under, is there any chance anyone might have a pic of the drain plug and the fill plug so I get the right ones !
there is another available for £175 although I'm not sure where the gearbox code is to check if it's the right one.
another question ! I've looked for a Haynes manual and couldnt find one, is there another repair manual available ? thanks for all the replies