Vehicle tracker

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Hi all, I'm about to buy a desirable classic motorhome and I wish to install a GPS tracker, I couldn't believe how cheap they are after searching eBay, are there any particular specs I should look for, any particular makes etc, any advice helpful, thank you

Rewire security, XCSource are pretty good ones that friends use to track children/cars/bags etc...

How frequently do you need it to update? Do you want it to log live data and send via SMS or just store it in the cloud? GSM or CDMA are useful tracking sources to have in addition to GPS. Do you want a panic button?

Some come with monthly subscriptions which can add up if you're not careful.

I have a Securicor GPS/GSM/VHF system, this means that the Police have a much greater tracking ability should the car be stolen. But, you need to talk to the insurance company for a few things first i.e, do they have a recommended system that they would like to see and if so what is it? What discounted Premium percentage are they offering you BEFORE you part with any money to buy the system; they will require proof of installation. There are loads of packages out there and depending on the size of the wallet, the choice is bewildering. You will also find that many are reluctant to give you a subscription price until you have chosen the tracking model for obvious reasons. Note also that those with a monthly subscription give a much better discount if you buy annually or even 3 yearly. Unless you want the system to just keep an eye on the cars location only then eBay is fine, if you want to have the full ability to retrieve the car if stolen then you will have to go to a professional company for the back up.

@aston

Did you decide on one? Let us know what you found out and what one you got.