Vauxhall Tigra Engine

armyamy

Wrench Pro
Car
vauxhall tigra 1.4
Hi my engine recently died on me after my timing belt tensioner collapsed, aqnd the valves hit the pistons.
I am looking at buying a new engine for it, and was wondering if anyone knows where theres some information so i can try and fit the engine myself as this would be alot cheaper for me.

Cheers Amy

Take your time, take lots of photos of where things plug in and you will be alright. It gets more hard when you try to put in a bigger or different engine. You will need a lift or hoist or whatever they call it. Have you found an engine yet?

The hardest thing is the gearbox really that and the siezed bolts. Have you got prices for swapping it over?

Things you will need are a set of gaskets for the exhust,intake and down pipe. Keep some spare hoses nearby as well and its a good idea to do full service while you are at it.

Have you done any mechanical work before?

Yeh ive done a little bit.. and i think me mums going to give me a hand as she has done it before.

Ive asked around at a few garages and for them to fit it will cost me about £600 just for fitting

I see why you want to do it yourself. One option is to get it mostly in and then ask a garage to do the trouble shooting. It would be worth doing the cam belt at the same time as well cos you dont want the same thing to happen again. Had the old one done many miles?

Nah i dont.. i dont reli know much about the cars past cus i bought it second hand. Basically it hadnt been driven much for various reasons. And thats all i really know about it.

Hi Armyamy. Glad to see your willing to have a go. Thats the spirit.

They say that often when you leave a car standing it deteriorates. Perhaps the belt didn't like being in the same position for a long time. Good luck with the engine swap.

The taking pics of everything is a good tip. Use stick labels and make notes as you take the old engine out. Label spark plugs left 1, middle left,middle right and right 1 as you view it from the engine. This is something you don't want to get mixed up.;)

ArmyAmy,

Just a quick thought before you start the process is how you plan to get the engine in and out? I think Engine cranes can be rented from A hire store or mate, just be careful !!!
All the advise above is valid, i think your best two bets are chalk pens and lines between the connectors before disconnecting them,
Dont go to mad into disconnecting everything look at the objective, most engines nowadays have a wiring loom just for the engine so have a look and see if you can just disconnect this save alot of hassle, it is normally with a couple of connectors!!
Best bet i think for you would be the HAynes Manual they might even have a section on engine removal,
Take your time and just be sure all major bolts are done up to the right torque. Another good tip is when you disconnect a nut and bolt etc try and put them back in one side of it so not to get confused and wonder were they went!!
Just one more tip from me, the night before drain the oil, powersteering fluid, etc and leave it over night, this stops alot of oily mess!!

HSS hire hoists out. think i paid £40 for mine fora day.
picked it up around 4pm and took it back the next afternoon.
i disconnected everything that needed to so it was just a case of lifting out .(wasnt putting it back in )

well it would have cost moreto fix the head gasket than the car was proberly worth was going to use it as a project, never happened however and went to the scrappy as well

well it would have cost more to fix the head gasket than the car was proberly worth was going to use it as a project, never happened however and went to the scrappy as well

A Haynes manual is a must when doing a job like this. An yes they do cover engine removal and refitting. The tensioner on my mondeo diesel went once and bent a few valves. But it worked out cheaper to get the head skimmed and some new valves rather than a new engine...

Oi ok just looked into it and they go for abiut 1200, I can offer u 200 and I don't need the engine

well the car is in really good condition... there is no rust at all, alloy wheels etc etc.
Am looking at about £300 being the lowest ill sell the car for