Variable fuel prices at peak times

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I'm hearing rumors that petrol stations are investigating the possibility of bringing in variable fuel prices depending on the time of day.

School run/Commute & Bank holidays they plan to add to the fuel price.

Is this a good thing? Is it fair to charge more at peak times? If you were aware this was happening would you buy fuel in off peak times or do you have no choice when you buy fuel?

You are kidding :confused: Can you imagine the carnage when everyone starts to attempt to reach the petrol stations at a certain time of the day? What will happen when an irate driver arrives at a checkout and misses out on the cheap rate by 30 seconds because someone in front decides he wants 20 Benson & Hedges cigarettes at the last minute? Best I start walking around with my Nunchucks again :lol:

Is it fair to charge more at peak times?
Capitalism at work. If they put the price up and people pay it, then they will continue to do it. If the masses stop buying fuel when the price is hiked for an hour the, big faceless, corporations will stop doing it.

If you were aware this was happening would you buy fuel in off peak times or do you have no choice when you buy fuel?
I tend to buy fuel when I need it. Often that coincides with the weekly shop, but as I drive near my Tesco several times a week it wont be much of an issue to get fuel at "off peak" times.

Got any links to these rumours?

Best I start walking around with my Nunchucks again
stock-vector-angry-ninja-with-nunchuck-131682425.jpg

Over here the price can vary as much as 16 cents per litre depending on what day of the of the price cycle it is and by as much as 10 cents per litre depending on where you live for the same brand.

I guess the price you see at the pump is what you pay when you go inside but if they change it you could be on the forecourt as it ticks up.

I buy Vpower and this price is never shown on the main station sign, just the regular fuel prices. At least fuel is a little cheaper at the moment.

Yeah, it always annoys me that they don't put high octane fuels on the board. You can generally gauge though by the normal prices. Add about 10-12p for VPower, add about 30p for BPUltimate, add about 5p for any supermarket. Wish I lived near a Tesco fuel station! Did just get my £10.50 voucher from Shell yesterday though so I used that this morning to fill up.