V6 Vectra X25Xe - occasional noise

fsurfer

Car
Vectra 2.5 V6
Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone has had this or if they know someone that has.

The car is a 2000 2.5 V6 Vectra new engine fitted 2004 low mileage, 3.8 Bar FPR, Induction kit, twin cat back sport exhaust - rest is standard.

A week or so ago I was driving up a hill about 60 - 70 and it has a sharp brow, I came over the car had lifted and came down with a thud.

The engine had loss of power and a rattling noise, bit like messing gears - this went and hasn't returned for well over a week, came back today.

I have tried blanking the EGR valve - as that can make a similar noise and removed the Bosch Super 4's, as they were fitted a few days before. I have checked the Cat, manifold and sensor connections, there are no warning codes logged.

I had added Cataclean - not sure if thats the problem.

Now I read somewhere about an engine retarding and a strange noise, it was fuel related, have added Redline - no difference.

I described the symptoms in another forum and have talked to my local garage who have ruled out cambelt - engine done 11-14,000 miles, there's no overheating - so it isnt water-pump bearings, PAS pump works, no clutch slip - my garage can't give a definate answer as the noise isn't there all the time, as the car purrs like a lion normally.

The noise isn't there until I push the car it then comes back, so I am wondering fuel filter as if I push it again it goes away.

Any thoughts?

No its a timing belt and I have driven loads since it happened no problem. Drove today a bit harder the noise came - lack of power, pushed a bit harder it went. have tried the higher octane fuel but it supermarket stuff.

Yeah, that what makes me wonder if its crap and the fuel filters clogged, they are only £6 but a pig to change :blink:

Sorry I just noticed you have a specific Vectra forum, is it ok in this section?

Last edited:
It sounds definate internal to me. You will only lose power if the if something isn't doing what it should in there. My 2 cents worth would be, check how much oil is in there as it sounds like it might be starvation and only coming into effect when you give it some. Plus, was the engine sitting before it was installed as one of the piston rings could have perished in the bore and caused the oil pressure to go on the piston. This happened to my Calibra Turbo and when it did it, there was alot of power missing. Let it cool down and jobs a good'n.

So, was the engine rebuilt before it went into you Vectra? Regardless of miles, it's always worth doing as you never can tell what the true history of an engine is.

Might be worth checking the AFM aswell on the intake pipe if this isn't working perfectly and you floor it, the rush air past the sensor will be too much and it forces the car into limp home mode for a short while then goes once the ecu reads everything is ok.

Last edited:
Found it....stickie tappet / hydraulic damper, it was there when I started from cold and went then after school run it returned so the garage was able to identify - in with the wynns hydraulic valve lifter treatment.

The engine is a brand new one - thank-you Vauxhall, fitted in 2004 after a spate of faulty re-cons and to avoid legal action.

Fair play mate well done. I wouldn't have thought it was going to be the tappets as the engine is so new but there we go lol. Is the oil the right grade?

Haven't had an oil change in a long while, just been topping up with the correct part-synthetic oil.

So the coming down with a thud was purely coincidence