Using your car radio will be illegal next month!

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It is a sad day indeed! If your car has been fitted with an aftermarket accessory with an LCD display for the reception or transmission of broadcast services audio, visual, data or a mixture of all of these (so it includes sat nav, speed camera detectors and the car radio etc....) it will be illegal to use it unless you have a remote control or voice activation.

The EU have ratified legislation based on the assumption that 20% of accidents are caused by drivers looking at, or pressing buttons on aftermarket equipment. It is beyond me why they have specified aftermarket because most factory fit radios do not have remote controls. There is a petition available online against this on the No10 website which will not get anywhere as we have already signed and agreed this law. It is not clear if radios/sat nav will have to be removed or just switched off. Penalties will be applied as they currently are for using a mobile phone in the car.

surly if they say that 20% of accidents are caused by drivers looking at, or pressing buttons of aftermarket equipment, that would include all these people who have had custom spedo's put in as well, but thinking about it even more they cant just say aftermarket equipment because most aftermarket sterios these days have remotes unlike the standard equipment.

Personally i can see their being an uproar from all the companys that deal with aftermarket accessorys and from all the radio stations as well.

So what's causing the other 80% of accidents then?

We keep getting these silly messages from the government and they're best treated with the contempt they deserve.

Anyway, how are we ever gonna police that one? Does your average copper know that Clarion is a Nissan brand and that it's fitted in French cars routinely? Along with Harman-Kardon speakers? Nah, stop worrying.

Sorry chaps. I couldn't resist. It's just the sort of stupid thing they would do though!

lol yea it is one of the things that would happen if the goverment and EU had their way but i was getting quite fired up on that one lol oh well.