Useless gadgets added to cars.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It never ceases to amaze me what useless gadgets people are happy to pay extra for when they order their new car. Here are some that I consider a complete waste of Money.

Automatic lights that turn on in the dark.
Automatic Wipers with rain sensors.
Anti roll back on Audi - stops the car rolling back for a short time after the brake is released.

All of these seem to imply that drivers are lazy and unable to make really simple decisions.

What do you think of these gadgets? Am I being too harsh? Are there any gadgets that wind you up? If you have these gadgets do they work?

What about space saver tyres that you can only drive at 50mph with?

Cruise Controll. How lazy does a person have to get before he/she can't be bothered to hold down the throttle.

Air con on a soft top. Why, just why?

Reversing sensors on small cars (e.g. Nissan Micra). If you have that much trouble reversing something that small then you shouldn't be driving, not near my car anyway.

Pressure sensors in tyres. Check them every week, lazy sods

I could go on for hours with this....... :wink:

I heard that a lady in America sued Winniebago after she turned on cruise control and went in the back to make a cup of coffee. Of course the vehicle careered off of the road and she got a new one on the grounds that no one explained to her that it wasn't auto-pilot?

Not sure how much, if any, of this is true though!

:lol: It's so daft its got to be true Freddie. And feel free to go on all day Fingers - you thought of quite a few that hadn't occurred to me!

4x4's that are fitted with compasses aswell as satellite navigation.
Radio controlls on the steering wheel. Most cars you can reach the sterio while your hand is on the gear knob.
Boot spoiler on a Toyota Previa people carrier. Can't see that doing much.

OK, I have a reputation for hating Saxo's so Freddie if that was pointed at me I'll roll over.

I have cruise - it's pointless unless your driving along empty motorways at 3am at 3 figure speeds.

Also have auto wipers - but they always get it wrong.

And electric seats - got them too, lovely way to add needless weight to an already heavy car. Do offer millimetric adjustment, but, who cares.

For me, the daftest thing is sunroofs, use up headroom and at 6'4" I need all I can get.

Also, why do we need windows that open, electrically or otherwise. Why not reduce weight and increase strength of the bodyshell and let the air-con sort out the heating/cooling?

Nice one fingers - farts don't half linger in modern cars - they're so tightly sealed now. So, yep, good point. Especially if you fart as you turn up at Morrisons supermarket; get out; lock up.

Go back hour later and the buggers still linger ;-(

Maybe should change my diet

Cheers,

P

:lol: Its all the currys you eat. There are officially 4 grades of Fart - heard it, smelt it, tasted it and saw it.