Use your parking brake in traffic

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Keeping a parking brake on can be a life saver even on the flat. When hit from behind your car will not shoot forward.

I've seen some horrific accidents with drivers where this happened.

Many drivers rely on the foot brake but when hit from behind the natural instinct is to release the brake!

As a rule I also keep my wheels straight when turning right across traffic until I know I can move off so I can't be pushed into the oncoming traffic. There was a nasty smash a while ago in our town where this happened, a small rear end shunt turned into a near fatal front collision.

Also, when your brakes are hot putting the handbrake on instead of holding on the footbrake, helps to avoid distortion of the discs.

Also, when your brakes are hot putting the handbrake on instead of holding on the footbrake, helps to avoid distortion of the discs.
Dise warping is not usually a problem in normal daily commuter traffic. More likely to occur at track days or during a long downhill decent .
Do not park at the track with HB on and it helps to move/push the car a little forward/backward a few times as well to help prevent warping .

Yes all the time seems like common sense to me.
That's a good point about keeping the wheels straight.

My VX Line Astra failed twice leaving me totally stranded.
The first time me and the rac guy had to drag the car onto a flatbed. Vaux didn't know how to release it so we had to drag it off at Vaux too.
The second time it failed me and the same rac guy as the first time figured it out. We released the brakes, I drove it to Vaux. Then we informed them how to do it. lol

I don't think it's a common fault. Mine was the first failure in the UK. That's the reason Vaux didn't know how to release them.
I still think it was Vaux that broke mine when they fitted the rear parking sensors that the manufacturer forgot to fit when they built the car.