Uprated alloy water radiators

griffindai

Torque Junkie
Car
Saab 9-3 v6 Aero
Can anybody recommend somewhere who could either build an Uprated alloy radiator or sells decent afternarket ones please?

Im struggling with this one! The only place I can find who sells a drop in fit are Courtney Sport but the price is eye watering for a rad!!!!! They seem to be the go too place for the VXR boys but there must be other options available...

Thanks Dai

What price do you consider to be eye watering?

Why do you want to upgrade your rad? Is your car overheating?

Around £650, there's a few £180 42mm 'race' rads on ebay for the 4 pot 9-3 which I guess could be modified to fit, but looking into it more.

Tbh it's more of a vxr thing this, the Saab guys don't seem to bother unless going for big power. Vxr lads tend to look at it as a must. Bit odd as both cars use the exact same 2.8 v6t engine, so you'd think it's also an essential upgrade for the Saab.

Engine does run very hot though, just thinking if I'm doing the IC anyway may aswel upgrade the rad same time while they've got access to it ;)

Performance. Just odd how virtually none of the saab guys go this route, I think I've only seen two and both were well over 500hp with bigger turbos. Plus with the American tunes we tend to make a fair bit more power than the UK vxr tuners, so you'd think it would be beneficial to fit a bigger rad here.

I've emailed the ebay seller to see if he can get one for the v6. If he can get a batch made it could be a nice cheap upgrade :)

You only need a bigger rad if the existing system can't handle any addtitional heat generated. As this heat will only be generated at full power a bigger rad is usually only needed when prolonged high power is produced, on a track for example. With normal use a properly tuned engine is more efficient so more energy is converted into power rather than heat so the engine could well run cooler :)

Unfortunately, there are a lot of smoke and mirrors involved with tuning. Many peole do things because others have done it so it must be correct.

How tuned is your engine?

I'll dig out both Courtney's & JZW's tunes mate for the v6. Interesting to see how both tuners go about it in different ways.