Torque Cars

UNF better than metric?

Discussion in 'Technical forum' started by old-git, 16 March 2012.

1. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Why would you need a longer bolt? Imperial nuts are no longer than metric ones?

We need, then, to confirm whether Ferrari use metric or imperial.

I must point out that I am not claiming that F1 uses UNF only that I was told this recently. I have now been told by another guy who used to spanner for Williams and now restores F1 cars that they mainly use UNF. He reckons it's because the finer thread allows for finer adjustment.

My old boss's son is an aerodynamicist with Red Bull. If I can find his number I will ask him to ask his son.

2. Charliep

Charliep Torque Junkie

Thurrock, UK
    Car:
    Alfa GTV & 33
    When you tighten a bolt you obviously put tension on the thread. The finer the thread the weaker it will be and the bigger the the base diameter of the bolt.

The only way to counteract this is the have more thread length.

I have not claimed that F1 doesn't use UNF threads. All I am saying is that the strength of the bolt of a UNF is stronger than its thread on a UNF nut. Therefore you will need more thread for the same overall strength when it comes to tensile strength.

Obviously the UNF bolt would be able to take a bit more sheer force because of the slightly thicker base diameter.

With the finer UNF pitch adjustment is easier/quicker.

It boils down to preference. The key element is the bolt material, which will give you the strength needed.

3. SLEEPER

SLEEPER Pro Tuner

4. Charliep

Charliep Torque Junkie

Thurrock, UK
    Car:
    Alfa GTV & 33

5. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    That went well ! :blink:

6. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Pardon, what the dickens just happened here? :blink: Leaving the forum is just a tad extreme don't you think CP?
    NO ONE here is trying to attack you, far from it actually! The guys on here vary in range between the; 1) no idea what your on about! 2) have a good idea what your talking about! 3) incredibly knowledgeable and very much hands on!

Seasoned members like Sleeper, Claymore and Old-git are without a doubt classed in the number three section.

I detest that expression: Flaming me! it has no place here on Torque Cars! One of our golden rules is to be nice! ;)

I have no doubt whatsoever that you know what you are talking about, and clearly you exude a great knowledge of car mechanics. But this is a forum and as such, peoples true meanings and intentions are often confused and misunderstood within a text paragraph or even a single sentence! Just because members do not agree with you this does not mean they are spoiling for an argument! They just need things explained differently in order to understand you a bit better.

HDi summed it up a while ago in his post to you: "There's a thirst for knowledge here -something I see as credible given the general low level of intelligence we see during our daily lives. Welcome. It's good to have you on board."

I for one have enjoyed reading your posts, I don't always understand them, but that is why I joined this forum in the first place; to learn! :)

I do hope to see you back here on TorqueCars CP and very soon, we have much to learn from each other! ;)