Ultimate 1991 vw polo project

P

pologenisis

I would like know if it would be possible for me to fit a 1.8 20v golf engine or even a peugeot engine in my 1991 vw polo mk2f coupe,
If not what kind of engines and gearboxes would possibly fit it it and how difficult would it be,
Thanks

Hi and welcome.

Yes it is possible to fit almost any engine into any car.

The difficulty depends on how different the new engine/gearbox is from the original. I take it that you haven't done this sort of mod before? If not, then I suggest that you talk to people who have. Join a VW modders club (search Google for clubs in your area) and get talking.

The VW modders on here may be able to give you a steer as to the best way to go.

As an aside, your title to this thread is a tad misleading :)

Greetings and welcome to our TorqueCars forum :)

Agree with my esteemed colleague above, the title is misleading as I assumed the car was already built or on the way to completion ?-/

Never mind, we can all dream and one day you may yet have the ultimate VW Polo project :)

Hello and a warm welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Really nice to have you along.

Yes it has been done many times before, the 1.8T is the most popular engine as it offers loads of easily tunable power. Gearbox swaps are also needed as the power band is so different and the standard gearboxes are pretty weak IMO.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back