UK licences to go digital

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Soon there will be no photo id licences issued at all, everything will be digitally stored and accessed.

What are your thoughts on this? Will you use an app on your phone to prove your ID and show your photo? Does it matter that more of our information is stored digitally?

Will this be open to fraud and abuse?

I think last month the DVLA stopped issuing paper licence attachments, just releasing a photo id.

This is all done in the name of cutting costs.

Can't see the harm in it personally. Digital security is actually very good, it's just that when it goes wrong it gets lots of media attention.

Breaches of digital security are almost always down to human error rather that system problems.

For example: Folding up a piece of paper upon which confidential information has been written/printed, putting it inside another piece of paper upon which we openly write/print the intended recipients name & address, sticking a third, smaller, piece of coloured paper to it and then shoving the whole lot in a red metal cylinder in the street is hardly the epitome of security is it?? :)

We ought to do the same thing as North America and adopt an ID card system. Centralise the whole lot so that medical data, driving license data, tax, pension, benefits entitlements etc etc don't have multiple agencies duplicating each others' work.

We ought to do the same thing as North America and adopt an ID card system. Centralise the whole lot so that medical data, driving license data, tax, pension, benefits entitlements etc etc don't have multiple agencies duplicating each others' work.
Didn't they propose this back in the 90's and there was an outcry about it! If you can get the papers to like something then it will be accepted! ;)

There will always be outcry because the British public is clinically aversed to progress of any type - hence my earlier point about digital security.