Tyres whos got what ? what size ? cost and how long

pgarner

TC ModFather
Car
Octy smoke machine
Ok thought this might be a good idea for anybody looking for new tyres.
Basically what do you have on your drive wheels with regards to :
  • brand
  • size
  • grip
  • cost
  • length of time on the car
  • and how much treads left on them
hopefully we can give hints on what to go for

ok so ill start :
  • Bridgestone 040's on the Audi alloys
  • 225/45/17
  • quite good grip in all weathers, there directional tyres as well
  • £103 a corner from my local fitter
  • been on the car 6 months around 8k miles
  • about 3.5mm thread left hope top get another 6k outo them

would i buy them again ? i probably would they feel really secure compared to the dunlops that are on my standard 16" VW ones.
as ive got them on the now for its MOT (audi ones are looking just a bit wide to pass an MOT and cant be bothered fitting larger mudflaps to get away with it for 10mm ) and they feel really insecure in the corners

Currently:-

Viking Protech II
205/60/15 92V
Viking's new assymetric pattern
Fifty four quid a corner ALL IN !!!!!!!!!!!
Been on since October 07 - 10,000 miles so far.

Fronts wil be changed late summer this year, rears will go another 10k-15k miles.

These are surprisingly good - apparently made by Conti. I used to drive on Continental Premium Contact II's and the Vikings give then a severely good run for the money.

Previously Bridgestone Potenza RE-720's which were fully directional and superb but I was chewing a front set in 5000 miles.

I also have a set of Peugeot 17" rims which I fitted and removed because the 205/45's made ride far too harsh with apparent increase in grip

One of my favourite tyres was Goodyear's Ventura. This was a directional aftermarket fitment which, sadly, is no longer made. I used to run my ' 98 Primera on these and they were impressive. I'd have 'em on the Pug if they were still available.

Goodyear now does Excellence and Hydragrip, neither of which I've tried but the reports are good for both.

I'll be sticking (sorry!) with the Vikings for now as they are exceptionally good for a low/mid range tyre. Never thought I'd drive on something so modest!

Currently :

• brand = Bridgestone B60
  • size = 195/60/R15
  • grip = Quite grip on cornering compare to my previous Falken.
  • cost = $95 (Singapore Dollar)
  • length of time on the car = Been using for a year now
  • and how much treads left on them = Threads abit side wear for the front tires.Overall i still can twist the tires once in 3months.
Bridgestone tires are quite noisy when on the road compare to Falken tires.But they are quite reliable for long time usages.(Depends on how you take good care of your tires/alignments/camber).