tyre sizes

k3ogh

Tuner
Car
pug 306 1.4
yeah basically ive got a 16" rim with 225/40/zr16 these tyres are for 150 mph and over i do not need these on this rim im sure you would agree so im wondering what is the smallest tyre im going to get on the rim without it looking daft safe etc cause i like the rims and i dont wanna get rid of them also mot is coming up and with them rubbing on the inside of the wheel arches there going to laugh at me, although i have thought about spacers but unsure on size as i dont want to take the spigot rings out of place to much. cheers

have you also got the rim width?not the tyre width its the width that determines what the width of tyre can be. it should be on the alloys somewhere it be marked up 16x ?? ( 16" rim by xx.x width)

itll give fingers more to work with

Yeah you need to measure the width of the rim b4 u can work out the size tyres you can put on. 225 i guess would be a 9 or 10 inch rim (my old ones were 10 inch with a 225/50/15 ) so you could prob stretch a 195/45/16 on. But it would depend on the tyre type and the rim width. Link to stretched tyres... http://www.driftworks.com/forum/technical/45589-stretch-tyres-2.html
Skim through the pages, 3 i think but loads more if you trawl through the technical area of the site. Loads advice, pics and even some videos on how to stretch em on to the rim yourself using only hairspray!
Hope it helps!

yea sorry mate the rim is 8 an half ". im not looking for the mk1 corrola look if you like, i just want to solve the tyre rubbing on the inside of the arch if you know what i mean i put two 3 mil spacers (6 mil) on and it still rubs it is driving me crazy, i dont want to go out buy some 205s and they still rub i would be really glad if i could know for definate if it would solve the problem. so i could offload the rims and buy spankers which i dont want to do cos i really like the wheels and they look good on my car, there on a little clio by the way so running 225 is not really ideal cheers lads sorry to sound like a newbie,erm hold on a min i am

Do you really need 205's on a Corolla? They're well constructed cars with good weight balance and good steering geometry.

It's the runout of the wheels that may cause problems. Spacers can help but may put a wide rim and tyre outside of the wheel arches when front wheels point straight ahead.

This is not allowed and will result in MOT failure.

Why not fit some 16 x7J rims with the correct runout and fit nice 195/55's. Go for a good branded tyre. Bridgestone, Michelin and Conti come to mind,

Currently I'm enjoying a very spirited drive on Viking's Protech II's - new pattern, new compound and stick disturbingly well.

Sound too me like the alloys you have got might have the wrong offset for the car. Not a lot you can do about this except... new alloys with the right off set!!

Sorry, just noticed this thread. On a wheel that wide you dont really want to go narrower than a 215, or the tyre becomes too narrow for the rim and you run the risk of popping the beads of the rim while you are driving. An 8 1/5J wheel is far too big for a Corolla, or for any car of that size without wheel arch modifications. As HDi said, really you want to go no more than a 7J rim with a 195 poss 205 tyre. If you let me know EXactly what model, year etc your car is and if its lowered, and I will have a look in my trusty book to see if its listed and that will tell me what size wheels will fit your car

Doughnutter - 10" rims with 225mm tyres? Bl**dy hell, they were stretched!

Toyo Tyres recommend 6-8" for 225s. If you want optimum performance from a tyre, go for the middle of the width range. Going much bigger or smaller distorts both tread and walls and compromises the tyre's ability to work properly. Tyre companies spend a LOT of money designing tyres, so I think that they know what is best for their products :)

However, stretching the tyre may work for drifting (by reducing grip), but I don't know and don't really care :)

www.toyo.com

This site gives you lots of info on tyres, sizes, diameters, widths, etc.

yea im aware of that, but my car is not capable of them sort of speeds so i mean 8 an a half inch rims with 225s on them, i just wanted to know if i put 205s on them would this stop my tyres rubbing on the inner arches so i could put it on it bum cheers