Tyre pressures how do you choose yours

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
My recommended tyre pressures vary from 26 - 40psi! That seems like a massive spread to me.:amazed:

What are your recommended pressures and where do you choose to set the limit.

I set mine for 31 psi unless I am doing some hard driving or am fully loaded for a long journey where I push it to 40 psi.

It is amazing the difference in handling that your tyre pressures can make - let alone the fuel saving.

I run mine at the recommended pressure for sustained high speed usage as this gives a slightly better and more even tread wear rate (less heat) and better directional control.

THe ride is a little bit stiffer but that's a small price to pay

I've had the same problem recently. After a bit of Googling I found that the best start point seemed to be 10% less than the max tyre pressure on the side wall of the tyre, however with my Toyo's the max pressure is 44psi. So that meant a starting pressure of 39.6%! Which seemed a tad high for my light-ish car. So I started with 38psi & went for a drive, then lowered the tyre pressure by 1psi until the tyres felt too soft (about 32/33psi i think) & then went back up again. For day to day driving I finally settled on 36psi...for now ;)

Always a good read...
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html