Two weeks until remap (excited)

Steevo

Wrench Pro
Car
MK6 Golf Gti DSG
Hi everyone, I picked up a 2009 Seat Exeo SE Lux 143 last week. It feels pretty quick, but because it's so heavy I think I'd like more power/torque. I've never had a remap done before, and I'm concerned it may be hard on the clutch etc. My mileage is already 77K so I'm worried about putting extra strain on all components. I've been promised around 180 BHP. Can my car really handle that without packing in?

Depends on many things especially how hard you treat it.
IF you have little or no mechanical sympathy then you will surely break something.

Ask the tuner for the torque figure and find the max rating of your gearbox. Its torque that kills gearboxes. Keep it under the max like i have done on both my maps and youll be fine.

Tuners will only map to within a safe limit of the cars weakest part. Saying that if the clutch is showing its age then the extra torque will highlight this and bring the inevitability clutch replacement sooner. This is the time to then upgrade to a stronger one ;)

Thanks for your replies. There is a 170BHP version of the Exeo, and to my knowledge it has the exact same gearbox in it, but it has a different clutch. I priced a new clutch/flywheel set at around £400 (not including labour to fit it). I Don't intend to rally the car around, but we all love the ability to take off like a rocket if the opportunity arises. I trust the strength of the car enough to go ahead with remap, but I'll price a few new parts just incase

When I did my Bora and Focus I researched the standard gearbox limits and made sure the maps I had were under them. There were maps available that would have been fine for the engine but would have gone way over the max torque rating, and as I didn't want to have to buy an uprated clutch I chose the milder map. Still took the Bora from 130bhp/220lbft to 170/290 so I wasn't complaining. (;->

Remaps on a diesel, providing you respect the mechanical limits of the components, are a win-win. More power when you need it, more mpg when you are cruising,

The 170 engine version will have a larger turbo and the clutch is beefier also. Darkside Developments do a upgraded clutch replacement at around £400 along with lots of other VAG group goodies to empty your bank account.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back