Turbo upgrade for Noble

Ernest

Car
Rossion Q1
Hi guys , I bought myself a Rossion Q1 ( Same motor as the Noble M400 ) . I want to upgrade the existing turbo's , I aim for approximate 750-850 hp ..Can anybody give me some advice on turbo sizes .

I am scared to go to big and suffer turbo lag or to small because the I will not reach my aimed hp .I do prefer Precision turbo's .

Here in Johannesburg South Africa cars suffer a lack of power due to the high altitude ( 5000 m above sea level ) and 30 degrees Celsius .

Well I am not sure that just a bigger turbo will get you to the power output you are dreaming about. A quick Google puts the power output of the M400 at around 425bhp, so to get another 300bhp plus will be expensive. There are some great people on here who will know exactly what to do, but I will stick my neck out from my own experience and suggest the following. Change the fuel injectors to a higher flow version, the fuel pump will need to be increased as well to keep up with demand. A custom remap done on a rolling road will need to be completed and this should see you quite comfortably into the 600's. A bigger turbo sounds good but have you got the space for it. Remember you will need to have a new turbo manifold made that will allow the new turbo to fit. Possible that you might need to factor in an external oil pump and oil cooler to make sure the turbo cooling is taken care off. If space is limited then there is a good chance you can have the turbo removed and have it converted into a hybrid to try and get you the benefits of a bigger turbo but without the difficulties in trying to fit a huge monster into a tight gap. Plus as you said, SA is ruddy hot so power developed will not be consistent from one day to the next, so a visit to a rolling road on a warm Monday might be vastly different to a visit again on the Friday if the weather is really hot. Now all that I have suggested does not take into account a full engine strip down and rebuild with performance parts. Do you have another car to drive around in while your car is of the road for a long time getting the works done? One set of performance upgrades on my car had it off the road for a shade under 3 months.

Good luck anyway, I am sure when some of our real experts add their pearls of wisdom you will know what to do next, be warned though, deep pockets and bulging wallets are required, shattering performance does not come cheap.

Hi T9 man , thnx for the info , to answer some of your questions , we did fit a bigger inter cooler, bigger valve springs , ART stud kit , upgraded internals , bigger manifold , after market exhaust , still deciding between Haltech Elite pro or Motec 400 software ...

It is just the turbo choices I am stuck with .

Have a look at the Garrett GT4294R built for high power engines and gives fast response too by all accounts.

Thanks , but as a single turbo it will probably work , I see its rated for 850 hp , but remember it is a 3.0L V6 and needs two smaller turbo's .

Twincharging is another route to consider, use a supercharger and the turbo and they will compound the compressed air. T9 has covered the main bases in his informative post.

Two smaller turbos would be effective but using one large turbo is probably going to be easier to setup using a 3 to 1 then 2 to 1 exhaust arrangement mounting the turbo to one side of the engine (rear probably in those).