Turbo lag

Stephencatt

Car
W204 c220d 2009
Hello everyone new on here.ihave merc w204 c220d 2009 NOT BLUE EFFICCANCY.170bhp.turbo lag issue.no power from start.have chipped using racechip pro2.put sprintbooster on.new map sensor,new maf sensor.new fuel rail pressure sensor.new intank fuel pump,gutted dpf custom exhaust.STILL TURBO LAG.when turbo kicks in it pulls well.previous car BMW 535d biturbo.368 BHP 700NM TORQUE .anyone else had same issues.NO FAULT CODES.

Turbos have lag. It's a thing.
If you really want to eliminate it invest in anti-lag on your "racechip" but be prepared to replace your turbo very soon.

Turbos have lag. It's a thing.
If you really want to eliminate it invest in anti-lag on your "racechip" but be prepared to replace your turbo very soon.
Racechip dont do antilag.they do a throttle response kit but already have one.have reset gearbox ect.still loads of lag.

I have to ask, do you know how turbos produce power? The gearbox has nothing to do with it.

Turbos are spooled up by the exhaust gases and gains speed as the exhaust flows faster. As the turbine spins it compresses air and shoves that air into the engine. That cant happen until the turbine is spinning and it cant spin until the gases are flowing. Lag.

There are ways to eliminate lag;
Anti lag - in a nutshell it spits fuel into the turbo where the heat explodes it, which causes the turbine to spin, etc etc. This dramatically decreases the life of your turbo. Incredibly expensive overall.
Fit a sequential turbo, or twin turbo - a smaller unit in front of the larger one. It spools up sooner and when it runs out of puff the larger one takes over. Again expensive, plus needs more physical room in the engine bay.
Twin scroll turbo - they have two inlets rather than one and do fancy stuff that gets the blades spinning sooner.
Fit a supercharger in front - the turbo works from exhaust scavenging whilst the supercharger works from the engine power itself; it is powered by the crank. The effect is instant with the downside of less power overall as the supercharger is sucking some of it to run itself. Have both for fun times.
NOx - you will blow up your engine. But it does work.

There may be other ways.

Or you could learn to drive with lag in mind.

Thanks will try to get used to turbo lag untill i buy a jag lol.not used to turbo lag untill i bought a merc.

Thanks will try to get used to turbo lag untill i buy a jag lol.not used to turbo lag untill i bought a merc.

You really do have it completely wrong (sorry)
its got absolutely nothing to do with owning a merc.

Put simply the gases from the exhaust spin the turbo. As previously explained it cannot produce power untill it the turbo wheel reaches a certain speed . it is the amount of air that decides this Now a bigger engine produces more exhaust gas than a smaller one so it will spool up any turbo set up quicker than a smaller one -
Similarly bigger turbos spool up slower than smaller ones as more air needed to move the bigger compressor wheel.
the bmw had twin turbos . presumably they were sequential which means one small one specifically designed to spool up quickly (which as expained above works even better on a larger engine).
And since all theabove is physics you wont change this that much with ecu tweaks.

Thankyou for clearing that up.it must be a design fault on mercs.i have had deisels all my driving life.36 years and never had one this bad.theirs lots of people with same turbo lag on these.dontget with vauxhall ,jag,renault,vw,all single turbo,all 2.0 ltr.

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin!

There may be a hybrid turbo option that addresses this for your car. Turbo design is the main cause of lag, you usually have a choice of low lag low top end power or high lag and high top end power.

Keep the engine around the sweet spot and you'll be fine, around 2400rpm IIRC on those.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Certainly turbos have improved a fair bit recently and variable vane turbos are certainly good in principle but they are made for specific vehicles
I looked into this very seriously before buying a new generation bw efr. There simply wasnt a vv turbo that would work on my engine.
The EFR is twin schroll which I think is possibly what you may mean by a twin vane turbo- it isnt twin vane though but twin schroll.
In a twin schroll set up the manifold splits the exhaust gases related to the firing order which makes the gases flow much more evenly .This results in proven earlier spool up .

Hello and welcome to this awesome site, one of my favourite sites around, we generally have quite good banter and laughs on here so please stick around and post loads, looking forward to getting to know you better.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back