Turbo diesels

Wanda

Authorised Trader
Car
Renault Megane 2 cc
If you start off with a turbo diesel, is it "economical" or worth adding another turbo to it instead of replacing turbo with a larger one?

Is there anyway of working out what is that max. "safe" power an engine size can get after tuning, i.e if your starting point is 100bhp upgrading to 160bhp would that be too much for the engine (60% power increase).

I was basing this on the assumption that if vw can get 180bhp from 1.4 engine surely the equivalent diesel can cope with that kind of power?

Last edited:
Depends entirely on the engine's durability. VW's 180bhp engine was designed to handle that amount of torque from the get go.

To be honest in answer to the 'economical' question the cheapest thing is to not modify at all :)

"new" turbo is going to be around the £1k mark then you would have to rearrange the pipework and then get the mapping sorted out.

as hdi said the engine is diesgned to work within the power that it can. VW were apparntly laughed at when the diegns were released for there TFsi 170bhp 1.4 engine as its back to cast blocks etc rather than alloy