Tuning newbie

MartyMcFly

Car
Passat TDI 1.9
Hello everyone I'm Martin from Northern Ireland, just managed to get myself a VW Passat and it's in need of a new turbo so I thought I might as well buy a higher performance one, but, I am not completely sure yet what else I need to get installed along with a more powerful turbo? Could anyone help me out/direct me to the forum where something like this has been discussed?

One love (8})

Hi and welcome to TC forums.
Depending on how far you want to go with it you may need uprated injectors, intercooler, fuel pump, intake and piping, exhaust etc etc etc. Then brakes to stop the thing and maybe LSD and suspension upgrades to handle power. Drive shafts and clutch also for the extra torque.
Darkside Developments are the VW group tuning gurus in the UK. Have a look through their website, they do complete turbo kits, and have a chat with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was you thinking in terms of power? Just going to a hybrid unit might mean you can keep everything else standard but with a much quicker pick up. The remap on the new Turbo install will see to that. Otherwise a large gain in power is going to require a lot of other bits to be upgraded to take the power

I'm really not sure yet, I just want to start building it (money won't be a problem because I have a good monthly budget worked out for it) & see how it goes then just stop whenever I feel like it's enough you know.
I have already looked up some guys near me in NI who do good remaps & get your ride tested with the dyro straight away..need to pay them a visit soon for some advice too

I sent them an email and they replied already asking about what my rough idea is, etc, they're amazing!
I know what you mean..i almost ended up saving up all next (8})year just to buy a 2006 A3 or something in summer, but then this Passat came up bc my friend wanted to get rid of it, i took one look at the engine and asked no questions :rofl: absolute bargain, now i will be able to spend almost all of what i had been plannjng on saving up for the A3 on building it! (8}) what've you got btw?

what've you got btw?

Ah all my classic toys have gone just a humble children chariot now in the form of a 2006 Golf GT170 Tdi that's had a remap so probably about 200hp now, the Turbo starts running out of puff after that hence lusting at DDs website. Would like to get between 250-300hp with some decent torque. Miss having that surge of power like I had with my Porsche 944Turbo or Skyline R33 GTR. Both of those had well over 300hp and oodles of torque for swiftly taking traffic when required.

Hi there, and welcome to TorqueCars, it's great to have you along.

Here are our top tips for your engine, I don't know if you've found this page yet.
https://www.torquecars.com/volkswagen/1-9-tdi-tuning.php

Feel free to ask questions and keep us updated with your car as it develops, sharing your knowledge really helps others avoid making mistakes.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back