Torque Cars

Tuning bits. Vectra C 1.9 CDTi SRi 150

Discussion in 'Vectra' started by Harvey, 1 October 2010.

1. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    They are only for the after market at present and theres a few guys using them in there drag engines,

Your rods will definately give way first in the rotating assembly and like I said there currently isnt an really an option of upgrading your pistons,

You can get them coated like you can do on petrols, the crown can be coated and so can the piston skirt and that maybe worth a look but beyond that then forged aluminium are stronger but they just won last the course, and this is an everyday car, like I said before diesels have an extra ring cast into the piston which prevents this, not a problem on steel pistons as the material is stronger....

2. Harvey

Harvey Tuner

Darlington
    Car:
    Vectra CDTi 280/437
    Thanks for the information. In every day trim the car is running the 279 bhp/437lbs ft map with water methanol. I did nothing with the injectors until around the 250 bhp bracket but remember I also had water methanol injection assisting power development. (10-18 bhp subject to how it was mapped). I looked into renozzling and what others had done with injectors on VAG, BMW etc. I had calculated I needed 15% more flow but there was no obvious nozzle replacement available to me and either nobody knew for certain or was not saying. I was then pointed in the direction of Keith at United Diesel and he agreed to modify the existing injectors. He clearly knew his lemons from his limes. A very clever guy and he confirmed that renozzling was not necessarily a good option as spray pattern is critical. The flow rate was actually increased 19% which was ideal for my intentions. I know that Vectra 1.9 120s have different nozzles to the 150s so I think changing nozzles is not necessarily a good thing if it can be avoided. United Diesels 01939 291155.
    Until now I have built my own turbos starting with machining the 49 cover on the 17/49 standard VNT turbo to take a 56 wheel. I experimented with a variety of other turbo configurations based on the 17/49 and with the help of my friend Tim Waterson, Turbo Solutions, Darlington, we put together a 17/56 with the cover machined to take a 60 BMW wheel. This did 280 bhp 10 months ago but spool was 2300 in 4th gear on a level road and for a diesel in everyday use driven by my Wife this was just too high up the rev range and I went back to the 17/56/56 which we took to 275 bhp but 268 bhp in daily trim. The current turbo was built by Adam Davidson of TDi Turbos after we collaborated and shared notes on our previous experiences so anyone wanting a hybrid turbo would do well to get in touch with Adam at TDiTurbos@gmail.com
    I am surprised how quickly we have moved on the 1.9 CDTi tuning platform in only a short space of time. A lot of hard work but others can now benefit from my efforts.

3. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Very informative update, thanks for that Harvey ;)

4. Harvey

Harvey Tuner

Darlington
    Car:
    Vectra CDTi 280/437
    Cheers mate. If there is anything you want to know about specifically I can share my experience with you but some times I don't get on here for a few days.

5. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    Always a good read chap,
    Apparantly the spray pattern of the injector is matched with the shape of the piston bowl so the fuel gets mixed as best as possible with the air,

Ive spoken to Keith, at United Diesel in Shropshire, he does know his stuff, he probably just enlarged the holes in the nozzles (well i say 'just' im sure theres more to it than that but that the basic jist)

I will have to talk to your hybrid turbo guy in the future i think...

6. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    I know I'm fascinated by just what can be done with an everyday diesel engine. I don't mean everyday in a bad way, just that its an engine like mine that's used in hundreds of thousands of cars.

7. Harvey

Harvey Tuner

Darlington
    Car:
    Vectra CDTi 280/437
    Yes. There are some big power diesles about. The VAG guys have been at it for some time so the modification route is fairly well marked out and off the shelf parts are relatively easy to obtain. The 1.9 Fiat engine as fitted to Vectras, Astras,Saabs, Cromas, Alpha Romeos is not as well developed and tuning on these has not advanced very much until now.
    I have just fitted my previous turbo and a Hybrid FMIC to a pre-facelift Vectra which already had a full decat exhaust. Mapped at RSTuning the owner phoned to tell me it did 240bhp and 350 lbs/ft which is an exceptionally good result considering his lack of mods, no water methanol and it was on a very warm day (30C in the RR cell.
    So tuning these engines ha come on tremendously in the last 18mths.