Trusting a mechanic

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you have a garage or mechanic that you trust completely or do you do all the work yourself?

If you do the work yourself is this to save money or to ensure that a proper job is done?

I can't be bothered to work on our daily drivers so I use a guy who has a workshop next door but one. Known him for years, does a very good job for a very fair price.

I do have a garage that I trust completely who do virtually all of the work on the car; and with the exception of silly things that they don't do. Not in a position to do any real work on the car myself as the car lives on a very busy main road, plus I may need the car at anytime for work. At least the garage have a courtesy car that I can use should the job in question be a long one.

I have a trusted engine builder and a dyno tuner as well and it has cost me a pretty penny to find them.Have replaced head gaskets,decokes,lapped valves ,reset tappets and changed clutches in the past.
On one occasion I blew a head gasket early in a rally in my Datsun 1600 and contacted a nearby towns dealer who opened his workshop at 9pm and was amazed when we replaced it and drove out 40 minutes later and finished the rally without further HG problems.
He said was a 2 hour job according to the book.