track only 2.0ltr car?

LPMorgan

Road Burner
Car
none at the moment
got a few cars in mind for a 2.0ltr 300bhp track car, i know i could build a bigger car with more hp but a 2.0 with 300hp is my target, cars on the list are as follows; nissan primera gt, volvo s40 t4, bmw 320i, peugeot 406, vw passat, vauxhall vectra/cavalier. that's a basic list. it will be for track only so any advise and help with any of these cars is welcomed. cheers guys

Why limit yourself to a 2.0? Displacement does not equal power. How do you plan to extract 300bhp out of it either? You also need to think about FWD/RWD/AWD.

I also believe out of all your choices not one of them has anything close to 300bhp.

all those cars can be race tuned to 300bhp as most of them have been in btcc/wtcc, and cost of those cars listed can be bought for less than £500 which is an ideal start

IMHO, You don't need 300bhp for a (first) track car, the fact that the car is stripped out & light weight means it doesn't need as much bhp to make it go. My 100R is stripped & caged but road legal & with a stock 1.8 VVC it will do 0-60 in a hair over 6 seconds & I could easily lose another 50/70kg by fitting a lightweight seat chucking out the passenger seat & fitting a fibreglass boot lid.

Another advantage to a light car is that you don't have to go so mad on upgrading the brakes as there's less inertia to rein in. :)

Aim for 200bhp in a light car & I'll guarantee you'll have a lot of fun. :D

Last edited:
the 250hp-300hp is the eventual target, this car won't be road legal as i don't like the idea of insuring 2 cars lol the plan is to eventually build a low end competition car lol but i get the idea just strip out, cage, lighter seat etc... it will be a fun build "when the missus lets me" lol

If you're sticking to that exact list I would go BMW as it's the only RWD choice and also the best chassis. But the 2.0 in the E36 (I'm assuming you're talking about) is only 150bhp from the factory and won't hit 300bhp without lots of money.

I don't think you've thought this through tbh.

For a 300bhp track car I would go RWD, if you want FWD then I would go with a small hatchback. Something like a 106 GTi or a Civic EK9. Don't get hung up so much on figures. Think more about how the car will feel. I imagine a heavy 300bhp Vectra won't be as much fun on track because it will handle like a bag of turd on the twisties, even it will be quick on the straights.

i've thought it through, i'm just putting those figures out as a limit, although the bmw has rwd doesn't instantly make it the best and yes the e36 model, hatchbacks have never really done much for me tbh, only hatchbacks i like are the seat leon (newish shape) and the 2004 civic shape lol

i've thought it through, i'm just putting those figures out as a limit, although the bmw has rwd doesn't instantly make it the best and yes the e36 model, hatchbacks have never really done much for me tbh.

The 320 isn't the one to buy then. 328s can be had for similar to your £500. 250bhp can be had from the 2.8 relatively easy. It being RWD means it'll handle that 300bhp better than the others. The BMW chassis is excellent as well. Bear in mind it shares this with the M3.

How much are you planning to spend on this project?

it's going to be a working project so it's not got a budget as such, but i'll know my limit, as i said it all depends on tother half, lol the 328 is tempting but as i've said the power is not an issue as of yet, more about getting a car to be track worthy

You will have more fun on track in a clio 172/182 than you will in any of those other cars. That's what its about after all, no? Plus there are loads of options for modifying when the time comes.

You will have more fun on track in a clio 172/182 than you will in any of those other cars. That's what its about after all, no? Plus there are loads of options for modifying when the time comes.

I agree and maybe the Nissan Pulsar GTI-R. The mk3 prelude v-tec did very well in the PPC 999 challenge a few years ago, may be worth checking out

i'd go down the coupe route, there is something that puts me off hatchbacks lol i'd like if i had a hatch it would be a nova or pulsar as you say but it's the matter of getting them. lol

There is STILL a race-school at the Nurburgring in Germany, using a fleet of Alfa-Romeo 75's, though they were last produced over 15 years ago. Why? Because this stylish middleweight sports-saloon (most commonly found in 2 litre TwinSpark and 3 litre V6 form) has the gearbox mounted on the back axle - a "transaxle" and ideal 50:50 weight distribution. Ron Simons, who runs the school, often drives around guys in Subarus and Mitsubishi Evos... on the outside of them! The cars were very successfully raced, and many upgrade parts are available to optimise your car.
Engines are lively, the soundtrack intoxicating. The suspension system is complex, but it doesn't cost a fortune to over-haul and set up for fast-road and the odd track-day. Bodies are largely galvanised, so can be remarkably rust-free

i like the look of the mk4 prelude, had a family member who has had alfa's and are nice cars just shame about the electrical problems then get, i can do 90% of stuff myself except paint work lol i just like the idea of a saloon or coupe car, i'd even put a merc 190e as a car i'd like but it's hard to come across a manual lol don't think i'll be taking the racing school at the "ring" yet lol

OK how about something lightweight and focused, Probably cheap to run and a classic .... A Puegeot 106 Rallye?

Main thing ((MHO) is the car needs to have a decent chassis so if you must choose from your list I would go for the primera . They can be seriously tweaked and many parts are interchangeable with other models
so primera or a bmw.

If your looking at a primera, what about an almera gti?

19052008233.jpg

The SR20 engine is a great engine out of the box and if treated right will be bulletproof.
Tuning as always depends on how far and how much you want to spend.
Pulsar Gti-r's share the same engine except the Pulsar is turbocharged so the internal's are different but the engine itself will bolt straight in if you could find one. ;)
Can't remember if the Primera gearbox fits mind?

i love the look of the primera too, looks racey too, primera is probably the way to go, what are the engines like to tune?

bad news tother alf said i can't have a track only car :( gutted much? yeah i am lol and i can't do my national B license until i've had my road license for a year minimum. so the track car is going on hold and gonna focus getting my road license passed, then once that year is done i'll be going for my national B racing license. still thinking about buying a 'mera for a road car then once i've done my racing license then maybe convert it to a track/race car.

They look great whilst they're being fixed! ;) :lol:

Shame about the missus mate. Tell her she can't buy any new shoes either! You can always use your other car on track (just don't stuff it otherwise you'll be in trouble).

she said if it wasn't for the job falling through on me then it would of been fine, but because it has i'm still having to sign on (proper gutted) but i'm still doing my test. hopefully a licence will help me get work as i'll have my own transport. anyway still think i'm gonna stick with a primera gt p11 lol can get them dirt cheap, same with parts. so what can be done as far as road tuning for these beasts?

Good news. You can have my primera for a song as a porker I've been chasing for a year has come up. Pm me.

not when it's your first bundle of joy mate. it ain't in the way it's a blessing. that's why i need a family 4 door saloon lol if i had the money i'd buy it off you.

not when it's your first bundle of joy mate. it ain't in the way it's a blessing. that's why i need a family 4 door saloon lol if i had the money i'd buy it off you.

I totally agree, Mine is 2 and a half now and loves pulling away from a stop in the car, its allways "GO GO GO Daddy!" Brilliant, So luckily it seems we have the same hobby, Good luck Mr