tomcat turbo shopping list for mg zr?

Ben30190

Wrench Pro
Car
mg zr 105 (pants)
really really want to do the t16 turbo conversion. but just want to know realisticly how hard of a conversion it will be... what will i need and how much of a nightmare is the wiring...?

hi mate if your not already then make yourself a member of themgzr.co.uk many people have done the conversion on there and some have step by step guides on how to do it.

best way to start is to get a donor tomcat turbo as you will then have all the parts required, also remember these engines are old and worn so is a good idea to try and replace as many parts as possible whilst engine is out and apart.

yes that is the other one i couldnt remember lol

funnily enough i was outside this morning doing a few service bits to my van and a t series converted mgzr pulled up next door but 1 was running like a bag of nails so went have a chin wag and a look gave him a few pointers

The engine bays are identical which makes the job a lot easier. Get the T16 gearbox as your standard ratios are far too close.

The Tomcat engine is very prone to oil leaks though so I'd recommend an overhaul when you get it, new rings and valves would be top of my list.

The MEMS unit from the donor vehicle will IIRC have to be mated to locks as the immobiliser is built in.

Another option you have is the 1.8VVC conversion, this is quite a reliable solid engine that can be tuned nicely.

Hi i've just converted my zr to a 2.0 litre turbo I would definatly reccomend it . I sent my wiring loom to AA autosport who charged me 200 quid .. It is a costly convertion a lot more than what I first thought . For the cost of parts alone set me back 2000 quid but that included the cost ov donor car and a full engine strip down n rebuild with uprated clutch brakes and many other parts ... I will get my photos on here soon ... She's a beauty lol

Greetings and Welcome to TorqueCars! :)

You will need to have made 10 posts first before the system will allow you to post any photos or URL links, this helps us to keep the spammers at bay.

Hi i've just converted my zr to a 2.0 litre turbo I would definatly reccomend it . I sent my wiring loom to AA autosport who charged me 200 quid .. It is a costly convertion a lot more than what I first thought . For the cost of parts alone set me back 2000 quid but that included the cost ov donor car and a full engine strip down n rebuild with uprated clutch brakes and many other parts ... I will get my photos on here soon ... She's a beauty lol

Mate I'm looking to do a full performance upgrade on everything could you give me names of things I'm going to need in were I can get it i have a Mgzr+ 1.8twincam16v buh I want her to be way above standard if u gt me