The new Passat has a speed limit reading camera

Ah but were talking Passat drivers here. I know one in particular ;) judging by the reliability of his car this function will probably not work all that much!

My C63 had this... and it was really annoying. It's constantly flashing up on the screen on the instrument cluster and its just annoying. Plus every-time you wanted to use the multi-function wheel to say, make a phone call or change radio station or whatever... you went past a speed limit sign, and that came up instead, cancelling whatever you where doing!

My old satnav unit used to warn me of speed signs with a loud "bo'ing" sound. Just down road from my house is a traffic calming section and soon as I switch unit on it would go off and I'd not even left my house yet!
I can see the point, lot of signs are overgrown with tree foliage and you don't see them until you've passed it but there must be an easy less annoying way of displaying information. My satnav now just shows the speed signs on my map route as I'm going along and speed displays in red if exceeding limit. Maybe turn your dash Speedo red when exceeding limit and display correct speed in the Speedo.

Maybe turn your dash Speedo red when exceeding limit and display correct speed in the Speedo.

A very good idea Andy, send this off to Ford first, then Mercedes and Volkswagen. I will only take 5% commission off you for suggesting the idea should the manufacturers make the concept happen ;)

Even the best and most vigilant of us can miss a sign or get slightly distracted in conversation to miss a road dropping in speed limit for a short distance, especially tempory limits on roads we're familiar with. A subtle unobtrusive reminder could have a place in a car I reckon and may educate persistent drivers that drift over the limit. Having the warning cut into your satnav or radio regardless of what speed is stupid and just going to annoy people.

Or a hand that comes out of the steering wheel and slaps you across the face.

I was having a chat with the nipper yesterday and we decided that for my birthday she can slap me across the face with a wet fish. Cos I'm always saying "well it was better than a slap in the face with a wet fish", so I'd be able to say it with some authority.

Nothing bigger than a salmon mind.