The massive implications of electric cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If electric cars do become mainstream as I'm pretty sure they will there are some massive implications from this.

Lots of motoring jobs will be lost. Electric cars are simpler and easier to build. Factories will become more automated, there will be little difference between a washing machine factory and an electric car factory.

Regular servicing is pretty much non existent. There will be no regular oil and filter changes, decoking, exhausts to change.

Wear and tear on wheels, bearings, motors and suspension will still be there.

Traditional car companies will be less reliant on selling replacement parts and will have to retool and reskill their workforces. I see a power change in the car manufacturers of the world. Tesla will become giants, VW and Ford will lose out. Toyota and Mitsubishi already have large electronic divisions so they will adapt quite readily IMO.

Brakes are going to last longer as regenerative braking systems take out the need to have friction pads and surfaces.

Local garages are going to be closing. Fewer performance parts will be sold as electric cars are not that upgradable.

Oil companies will lose out on revenue and where they have shaped economies around the world it will be the electric producing companies that take this on.

I see electric prices shooting up with demand.

Is this a good thing? I think in the main it is. Progress and change are things we need to embrace and take on rather than resist.

What are your thoughts and comments? I might even make this an article on the main site and add some of your comments and theories to it. :D

Interesting observations. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I think there will be new electric car companies springing up. If Tesla sell their patents and batteries it will open the floodgates to cheaper high performance cars.

Tesla proved that an electric car can be quick and fun. With the range improvements they are also proving to be practical as well.

Never realised that! Wow! Good things ahead then.

It looks like Tesla are set to make quite a large impact on the automotive industry.