The Italian Tune Up- outdated myth or still relevant?

Guybo

Torque Junkie
Car
13 GenCoupe 2.0T
I always wonder when I drive if I'm being good to my car- engine and tranny mostly- or if I'm wearing it down and shortening it's life. Is it best to drive like a granny and baby the car and don't rev too high or is it best to open it up regularly.

My car does not like to shift at anything under 3k RPM and is smoothest at around 4k for upshifts. It probably has to do with the DMF or maybe it's the turbo needing a little more revs to stay happy. Either way I don't complain because 4k is loud and fun :rofl: and since the car is telling me that's what it wants, that's what it gets. Kind of like my wife. But is my engine a whiney emo kid who likes to hurt herself or is it best for the car? I also run it up to 5k at least a couple times a day.

Older Italian cars used to have issues with sludge building up behind the valves (from what I read) and really benifitted from being opened up on the highway to maximize flow through the valvetrain and clean out that build up. I read that modern cars don't work that way, but carbon deposits do still happen. So I'm confused- baby the car or open it up regularly?

Yes - regularly but only when fully warmed up. This can take 20-30 minutes. Also don't switch off when hot. Let it idle down.

Use decent fuel. Use the correct oil. Check it frequently. I do not buy into the 'change-every-3000-miles-and-use-any-old-oil' legends.

Use the redline. It indicates the upper end of the usable power band, not the point of imminent destruction.

Engines are made to be driven. They're better for being driven in my experience.

That's not what I understand the redline to signify. It indicates the safe RPM the engine can use before the risk of component damage starts to become significant. The engine won't explode as soon as you pass the redline as manufactures build in a safety factor but you will be getting close to the structural limitations of the piston and conrod materials as well as the bearings. It was also used to limit valve bounce in the day of OHV engines.

The usable powerband is normally some way below the red line. For example, my engine is redlined at 8250 but I will be able to use 8500 ocassionally in anger. However, the top of the power band is around 7500.

Well, at least that's what I have been told and subsequent research confirms it to my satisfaction.

I suppose this all depends upon the particular engine in question. My VW is pointless over 3500 yet the red starts at 4500, the limiter is at 5500 !!

Most manufacturers will impose a rev limit that is some way above the red line. Clearly downshifting at too high a road speed will quell any limiter completely.

My Passat's manual simply says do not operate the engine for extended periods of time with the needle in the red area of the tachometer. How long is extended? 1 second? 1 hour??

I've not yet had any engine problems from using the full rev range in any car I've owned. I don't visit the RL every ten seconds though.

Pushrod engines definitely didn't do well at extreme revs. Today's twin cam arrangements with duplex valve springs are much better.

I drive the final mile to my destination in a higher gear than normal, very low revs trying to get the Cat temp beneath 700C (the lowest it'll get is around 650) using the Torque app and my OBD2 port reader. If the cat is cooling off the turbo has got be cooling too. I like a nice easy cool down. Luckily my drive to and from work are perfect for this. I have less than 2 miles to the highway and can bring the temp up on the way then when I get off the highway it's just slow streets, perfect for a cool down.

I don't get on it until the engine is up to temp either. I can feel the engine when it has hit optimal temp, it just feels different.

As for hitting redline, I am too chicken to go there. Usually I only get up to about 5100 RPM, below redline. Maybe I need to go up there every now and again?

All sounds good to me. What is the rpm redline on your car?

5100 is brave. No, seriously, 5100 is fine in just about any 4 cylinder petrol car. My father will not go over 2500!!!! :D

LOL my dad was the same way. He had a 4cyl Toyota pickup truck (I learned how to drive on that little 4 speed) that he piled up almost 200k miles on and he drove it like a little old lady.

6500 redline. But the HP drops off after 5200

Red line on my rev counter is 7500rpm, but I usually take it to 9000rpm (or there abouts) mine has an extra powerband at around 7000rpm :)

[QUOTE="

As for hitting redline, I am too chicken to go there. Usually I only get up to about 5100 RPM, below redline. Maybe I need to go up there every now and again?[/QUOTE]

Don't sit there bouncing off it, but once it's warm, get up to the redline and then change up a gear.

It's not good for a warm engine to spend most of it's time soley at the top or bottom of the rev range! It's all there to be used.

On track my engine is always near the rev limiter, it's where it is working at its best. I tend to shift up before this as no gain to pass this and go flat. A bright shiftlight helps to remind me. 6750-7000 is the max. Obviously only when warmed up.

Yes its always better to get that throttle opened up and let the engine work hard and breath easily, and blow out all those cob webs. :)