Test driving tips

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I've got some test drives booked in for next Saturday.

The question is how to maximise my time behind the wheel and make the most of the opportunity on the test drive?

(Passat, Golf and A3 with various diesel engines and transmission options)

I'd map a route from the dealer before hand, exploiting all aspects of the car, twisties for handling,up hill for power and a few high speed breaking tests, bad roads for comfort evaluation, something like that if possible.

My test drive on the beast when I first bought it involved me loading it up with the things I intended to carry in the boot. The salesman gave me some funny looks at first but then he deemed I must be a serious prospect as I'm taking nothing to chance. Originally I was going to go for the Saab 9-3 convertible but with the powered roof the boot space was just too small.

I took it down the dual carriageway and onto a stretch of the M11 motorway to see how it performed. Only when I was completely satisfied did I take the car and the salesman back to the showroom.

If you need to allow for a possible wheelchair Obi Waynne, then make sure it WILL go in the back and don't assume this. Will it stay in place while driving around or will you need to strap it in. Does the boot space have luggage hooks or will these have to be retro fitted.

Also ask for examples of customers servicing costs on the model and year of car you are thinking of buying.
Are there any repair surprises due near the current mileage of the car and if so what are they?
Are those surprises a known issue and will they be covered by the manufacturers warranty?
Submit the model of car that you hope to buy into Which magazine to ascertain any possible reliabilty issues!
Look into Glasses or Parkers car buying guides for resale values and levels of depreciation.

That about covers it from me, but I am sure there will be loads of pointers from the TC chaps to absorb before you go to the showroom on Saturday.

Good luck :)

I try and pretend I know about stuff, while nodding my head to my mate, who too, pretends to know what he is doing, before agreeing the car is perfect, then just buy it.

Thats my top tips. :blink1:

:-D nice

I suppose spelling and punctuation are actually subsets of grammar so I have to take the battering for that one.

How's the drive(s) going?

Personally I think you can get a pretty good feel for a car within 1/2 an hour or so. It's not necessary to take it to the extremes of grip and performance to find out if it appeals or not. On the contrary, some of the so called test drives - 90 seconds round the block in first gear are a total waste of time

Last edited:
Saturday is the day. I wonder if the 140BHP models will feel slow compared to mine although they have more torque.

Whatever I get I just have to remap it though - it's almost silly not to.

My 130hp diesel volvo is quite pokey for what it is. Its 40-70 speed is actually quite fast. Never have trouble over taking. Its amazing what new diesels are like.

I remeber my first car, my esscort D, and that was guttless!

Thing is we all talk power but what we drive is torque. It's torque that flings your car down the road, not power. It's torque that pins you in the seat.

A 2 litre 200bhp diesel has similar midrange torque to a 4 litre 300bhp naturally aspirated V8 petrol engine. This is why they feel so bloody rapid in the midrange. Unless the V8 driver is using all the revs you won't split them in terms of performance.

Thing is we all talk power but what we drive is torque. It's torque that flings your car down the road, not power. It's torque that pins you in the seat.

Yea we know but saying ''POWER'' feels a lot more manly than saying '' TORQUE ''

The A3 140 Tdi is actually quite nice and the mid range is a lot better than I imagined it would be. I can only guess what a 170 is like.

Eurocanterbury the VW dealer let us down again big time, they never rang back twice, and when we rang them were not even interested in talking to us or selling us a car. I know they are probably busy but there is no excuse for ignoring a potential customer.

It will be. 236lbft is quite significant and it's on offer from well below 2000rpm. You'd need 4000rpm in a 3 litre petrol car (naturally aspirated) to get the same shove. Hence the midrange responsiveness

Last edited: