Tell us about your town from a motorists perspective

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I live in deal kent - www.aboutdeal.co.uk a really nice seaside town.

Traffic flows quite well unless you happen to be driving up the high street where the stupidly phases cameras slow everything up to a crawl.

Parking is enforced rigourously, I would say about 40% of illegally parked cars get a ticket. As a result there is not many illegally parked cars around.

Car parks are usually full and most near town on street parking is 1 or 2 hour zones. Pay parking street zones are usually empty near the town.

There are lots of garages around we have 2 petrol stations.

Your turn then! What's your town like?

Basingstoke. Known as Do-nut City sums it up really. Ring road with the famous back straight. Death Penalty speeds can be reached along it so its a good job ive not been stopped . Town has 7 Costas the only shop I visit so it does me fine.

East London or it's other name; Mini Speed Camera City. Can barely travel 1/2 mile without encountering a speed camera. If you are a fast food fanatic then this is the place to be. You have every kind of fast food outlet that you can think off and all pretty much within walking distance or a phone call away. Redeeming features? that's a tough one! City airport is local, the Excel centre is local, University hospital is local. Cretins who attempt to better their car manufacturers 0-60mph is unfortunately in high abundance in the area. Well connected with public transport if that's your thing, but not very parking friendly and getting worse all the time. Better stop there as this will turn quite quickly into the rant section ;)

Rugby.

Being in the Midlands it has those WEIRD roundabouts where the lanes don't give way, they just filter horizontally. Cov ring road has them also.

Because the centre of the town holds Rugby School which is ancient, the streets can never be widened so the gyratory is hellish constantly.

There's a fantastic couple of streets with some awesome shops and pubs/bars, like this one:
http://www.thelounges.co.uk/bacco-lounge/ - does a fantastic Saturday morning breakfast in completely chilled surroundings.
and this:
http://www.merchantsinn.co.uk/ - proper real ale drinking pub.

But cos the council charges the earth to park in the centre noone uses the shops much.