TCJB's new wastegate

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Have just returned from a mates exhaust workshop where I have use of a hoist to remove the turbo, dump pipe and ext gate that when tested failed to open the valve which confirmed my suspicion that it has a faulty diaphragm that must be split or holed allowing the gate to stay closed and for the boost level to rise higher than the 20 psi the car is tuned /mapped for so it gives me the perfect opportunity to install the new gate but had to remove the manifold so the new V band fittings can be welded to the manifold and dump.

The V band adapters have a alignment lip for perfect fitting together and IMO a better way to go as they should also seal better over the cheaper non self aligning type that rely on the sides of the clamp to get the parts mating together .
Have to return to put it all back together tomorrow :)

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Product-Categories/40mm-CompGate/

Hopefully I will have trouble free motoring for a wile as have my nxt track day on Thursday May 14 and leave for my 1st 2 day street sprint event at Oakey the following day.

Last edited:
Will do |B
Heading off to bolt it all together again and thought I may as well do an oil & filter change seeing it will be easier than at home in the man cave/shed :)

Will have to test and check boost levels as it may be higher/lower with the new gate due to a possible difference in the springs and adjust if required ;)

Finally back together:) Decided to wrap the dump pipe as far down as possible but not alter the wastegate outlet pipe position as it has a flex pipe in it so had enough to double wrap it .This caused difficulty in tightening a couple of dump to turbo nuts/bolts due to reduced space and found a better way to reroute the hoses to the gate so they will be even further away from exhaust heat|B

Have to get a longer hose to the boost controller before I will be able to check boost levels so fingers xxxx all will be fine.;)

Decided to do an oil & filter change wile it was on the hoist .

Road test up to posted limits in 2nd gear shows that the car seems slightly more responsive so will keep an eye on the boost gauge in higher gears at the track as the 3582 really gets going at 4000 revs :)