TCJB's mounts hobby horse again

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
I observe so many vehicles that are deemed to be"unroadworthy" due to faulty brake,parking or headlights and drivers ?? or should I say motorists appear to be oblivious to the state of their lights.

It would appear to me that they don't know or care about the state of their particular car and leave it to the dealer/workshop servicing it to rectify any faults and with the long servicing intervals common now it is more than ever the drivers responsibility to ensure that it is roadworthy and in good condition at all times.

IMO the lights as well as tyre pressures should be checked weekly and the lights can easily be tested by simply operating them in the garage to see the reflections on the walls or door behind.

I don't buy the excuse often offered by females that "its my husbands/partners job to do them"

IMO the ability to carry out basic checks should be part of the license test.

Mercifully, my baby beeps an alarm after the ECU does a full light check and then tells you exactly which lamp has failed on the S.I.D. I keep two Saab spare lamp kits in the car including those that have been converted over to LED.

Agree there, see so many with lights out and soft tyres. However some drivers are oblivious to even switching on their lights when it is dark let alone faulty. What do you do with them? Countless flashing of the lights even fails to bring it to their attention. The wife is one to leave it to me to sort even to the point she says "oh I think my tyre is a bit soft " more like zero psi! Why not go to Sainsbury's as you were there, free air.

Stamford you need to train her as heaven forbid you may be hit by a bus tomorrow and then what is she going to do ?????

Tyres need checking when COLD.

Your car should have a placard that shows the correct pressure.

You should have a good quality gauge in your car and note any that are low then when you get to a servo add the psi needed to get close as possible to recommended pressure.

For example say 1 tyre is 3psi low then regardless to what the servo gauge says add 3psi to the reading it shows even if it reads higher than recommended on the tyre placard |B

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink! Anything mechanical or technology based is lost on Mrs Stamford. It is work in progress, has been for 35 years lol!

:rofl: I have to fess up to "having to keep her tyres at correct pressure" and Mrs TCJB remembers to ask if her tyres are ok.
I have 2 compressors one in the "man cave" which is away from the house where the car in the pic is housed and the small one in the garage so I check hers when I check my daily drive 4 WD :)

Last edited:
People are too busy to care in my experience.

I set aside some car time each month and do regular checks. When you see a car driving round with 3 bulbs out you know they have ignored the problem for a long time.

Tyre pressures are something I'm quite hot on, it really kills your fuel consumption if they are too low.