TCJB's 2016 first track day 11/2/16

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
With less than a week away the car has had the baulky gearbox recoed,New solid centre 4 puk/paddle clutch fitted while the box was out and the billet flywheel resurfaced,brakes overhauled and improved mounting for the air ducting to the front brakes plus new pads fitted and a wheel alignment so am looking forward to some trouble free fast laps an the Queensland Raceway Time Attack events where I managed to win a small trophy for 2nd in class last year.

The best of luck to you Rad, that all sounds like quite the winning combination to me, I hope you improve on the 2nd in class this time around ;)

Thanks chaps|B.
My class place was due to entering all 5 events whereas some others did not.
The class winner drives a tricked out 383CI (6276cc) V8 Commodore Clubsport and he gets out of corners faster than me but I seem to be able to match his corner speed and he does not seem to be getting away in the straights once my turbo gets going.
What is needed is a smaller turbo and am thinking a GT3076R is on my wish list.

If one can take the weather forecast as Gospel then it may be damp :confused:

Last edited:
Well the weather man got it wrong again as it turned out to be a sunny 30deg day with track temps 50+ deg.
discovered a damaged front tyre when it was loaded on the trailer so had to fit the spare of a different brand that was 6 years young and hard on the front passenger side which is the hardest worked tyre on a mainly right hand turn track layout so took it steady testing the available grip level before attempting a quick time..

Was pleased to see the radiator temps below 90 deg on the track and it rose to app 98 deg after a 2 minute cool down idle was turned off.a BMW1 series twin turbo with meth injection was only 1 sec faster and managed to catch and pass an M3 3.2 in one session so was quite chuffed with that :)

The brakes got a little spongy and will be bleeding them as I should have done before the event even though they had been bled by the brake work shop.Feel sure I will find air in the lines :(

Was a bit surprised by how hot the under bonnet temps were when I opened it and the bonnet stay was so hot that it almost burnt my hand.

Have ordered a pair of Sierra type bonnet vents that will be in place before the next event.
Hopefully they will lower engine bay temperatures which will result in slightly cooler fuel supply to the injectors along with cooler air to the manifold due to cooler intercooler pipework.

My IC pipes are alloy as well as HPC coated and the air cleaner to turbo and IC to TB pipes are also wrapped in gold heat reflective tape to reduce heat absorbsion.

It does not take at all long for under bonnet parts to get hot even when the engine is not running.
I remember trial testing a new front strut brace made out of aluminium. We fitted it one summers day and it sat there in the sun under the bonnet for about 20 minutes while I and the governors were chatting away, we all touched the brace for some unknown reason as it was a brushed finish, the next thing I knew we were all breakdancing in the compound what the hell just happened :confused:

I am intending to drive it to do before and after checks (hopefully on days with the same ambient temps) with my digital I R temp gauge and will post results FYI.

I have a mental picture of you all breakdancing :lol: